Sign in to follow this  
marf497

how do you replace a front wheel bearing

I just got a new front wheel bearing for my 94 2l 16v i've only ever done back wheel bearings before wher you have the bearing and the bit you knock out of the hub and the seal. This bearing seems to be 1 unit and 2 circlips and a new bolt is this right. Had a search but couldn't find anything about how to change is it straight forward.

Cheers in Advance.

I just got a new front wheel bearing for my 94 2l 16v i've only ever done back wheel bearings before wher you have the bearing and the bit you knock out of the hub and the seal. This bearing seems to be 1 unit and 2 circlips and a new bolt is this right. Had a search but couldn't find anything about how to change is it straight forward.

Cheers in Advance.

It's not normally one you can do yourself, requires a press to do really.

cheers do you just remove the caliper and disk then is it a hub carrier and knock out the old bearing and press in the new one.Can you put the new one in with a vice or can you knock it in. Also i take it you need to grease the inside of the bearing.

Cheers

Yep, hub carrier off and take to a garage with a press... you'll need to get the allignment done afterwards.

Worth getting them blasted and painted too if you can - See my pics in this thread -

the grease you get in the kit is for the CV splines, not the bearing as it's sealed.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83206&p=962937

I take it, it is when you remove the strut that causes the problem can you get away with marking the bolts with tipex or something or is it to fine an adjustment??

Cheers.

I take it, it is when you remove the strut that causes the problem can you get away with marking the bolts with tipex or something or is it to fine an adjustment??

Cheers.

Yeah too fine -especially with VW top mount design...

One way is to use a magnetic camber gauge on the disc or hub to take a reading and leave an axle stand under the wishbone but you'll never get it perfect...

Best thing to do is to replace everything in one hit and pay £100 for Biessbarth allignment - The Corrado really is an amazing car to drive with new suspension bushes and then set up properly!