Sign in to follow this  
G60

shaved door handles.. for security!

where can i subscribe to that mag?? anyone help ... i think apart from andre's c that is the best c i have seen apart from ours that is !! :lol:

i've been takin a closer look at that shaved silver c.. where'd the wipers go?? ..is it legal to shave the side repeaters over there?

..i agree about the back end... very nice and smooth..did euro corrados have 3rd brake lights, i seem to remember that they don't..but then why is there that line below the spoiler where it should be? i like the smooth bumper..is it setup with an exhaust dump then? i was considering side-exhaust for a little while..... :twisted:

Right,

Have now got Photoshop, so have resized all my pics. Heres the shaved doors. Note I kept the side strips, as this is my everyday car and I do have to use carparks every now and then. Nothing would look worse that a totally shaved smooooth door, with a ding!

Hope this works...

Oh, and no comments on the wheels please - I KNOW, and I'm working on it!

Chuck -

I really do approve!

I've never seen a de-handled Corrado before. Have you got TVR-style buttons on the mirrors or are you still considering?

Andy

Andy,

Cheers,

for info (see also thread in gallery), its operated both by keyfob, and button in boot - but I'm still looking at TVR wing mirror buttons too.

Funny how things work out - only did it cuz some £$&*)(^%$£ pulled both handles off in a milti-storey - and I didn't fancy putting handles back on once I saw how easily they came off. :shock: :o

I'll try to get together some info on whats needed and how to do it (well how I did it!) for anyone thats interested.

Chuck, I've seen a few different handles fitted flush but first time without. That looks really neat - like it lots.

Must have improved the aerodynamics loads but doesn't the caravan slow you down? LOL

fitted passat rear door handles for the delocked look, thought about the tvr stylee but just didn't have the time.

how difficult is a solenoid kit for the boot?

hey chuck.. ya, let us know what you did!

does your keyfob just trigger the latch for a second and you have to grab the edge of the door?

OK, several people have expressed an interest in how I did this so here's a brief (!?) description.

A few points to consider though before starting:-

1/ It's a 1 way body modification. Once done it will be VERY expensive to return to standard.

2/ If in an accident, no-one can open the door (though realistically door will probably be jammed, and glass broken anyway), plus if, like me you drive with the doors locked anyway...

3/ Local laws, vehicle test requirements. (UK - MOT will pass this as long as you can open the door without the key fob - might be a good idea to have an external button though - TVR style)

4/ Audi door handles are probably a cheaper and more user friendly modification.

What you need:-

Switching receiver unit with matched key fob

Solenoid kit

Wire

Crimps

If you have an alarm that has a few extra functions, you could connect solenoids to that, e.g. most Clifford alarms.

Any 10 Amp switching receiver unit will work. I bought two single switching units, one for each door, from Maplins. They are mainly used for remote garage door operation and cost £30 each. They have several switching options, I chose a 1 second operation i.e. press key fob button, and the unit passes current for 1 second - usually enough to grab door. These come with instructions.

Two key fobs (extra one just in case!) to match the receiver units costing £10 each.

Then there are the 10 amp solenoids, which are a standard trunk solenoid that you can buy at most motor stores, check the VW magazines. These are roughly £40 each. These come with mounting plates, 1 button to put anywhere in the car, some wire and instructions.

Loads of 10 amp wire and crimp connections to make new earthing points.

Price:-

So for the equipment you'd be talking £200+.

As far as bodywork goes, its up to your local body shop really. I got mine fully resprayed but imagine I would have been charged in the region of 300-500 quid.

Installation:-

Hardest bit about installing was finding a place for the solenoid. The doors are quite tight inside. But the best place was bottom rear of door (easy maintenance access through the removable plastic cover too) , with the cable running up to the latch lever where I drilled a small hole for the loop attachment. Only niggle is that it restricts the last inch of the window slide so it doesn't open 100% fully.

With this too, the moving part of the solenoid hangs off the latch lever, which only has a weak spring. The problem here is that if you were to lock it, and the latch lever were to gradually fall under the weight of the solenoid, the door can't be unlocked! So I connected a length of elastic between the cable and the door skin to take the weight of the solenoid. Crude but effective.

I put the button behind the parcel shelf trim on either side.

As for wiring, I kind of just joined the two wiring diagrams (from the receiver units and the solenoids) getting rid of any earth return lines by drilling and earthing (as close as possible to solenoids and receivers).

I didn't bother with any 'if the alarms on the solenoids won't activate' complexity. If the alarms on, the doors are locked, and so even if solenoid operates, the doors won't open anyway. I connected the system directly to the battery.

You could do the boot too, but I left it as, if the battery dies you'd be left trying to break into your own car!

A bit of advice, install the system before doing the bodywork. It's easier to do using the hole left by the door handle.

Problems (niggles really):-

1/ Can be a bit annoying sometimes to open the doors, as they don't 'pop' open. You have to grab the edge and pull, and if you're slow it can catch on the half-open-half-closed latch. You really need both hands too, one to press the key fob button, and one to grab the door. But maybe a Ferrari type recess behind the door flange...

2/ One morning mine froze and wouldn't open. I later greased the solenoids to stop a build-up of condensation and it hasn't been a problem since. Worth consideration if you live in a colder climate.

3/ I have been told that Corrado door seals are prone to sticking in hot weather, but this hasn't happened yet.

4/ Door catches will need adjustment. If the door closes too tight, this places a lot of pressure on the latch mechanism, and the solenoid won't be able to open it. (also affected by the supporting elastic, which works against the solenoid).

In my opinion this is a good mod as the Corrado door handles are weak, and any thief will know how to get around them. So if you have the time (there really is a lot of adjusting to get it right) and the money (I used budget receiver units - but you could buy more expensive ones), I can highly recommend it.

(Mmmm... just previewed that, think I should have bought webspace for this one!!!)

id go with the audi handle conversion.already have enough probs to keep up with on my c

..well thats you. :lol:

i'll read that later chuck, bit busy right now.. but it looks like a good write-up. thanks.