Sign in to follow this  
j4m3s.du8

Losing Water?

Hi Guys,

i have a G60 Rado 1992 with a stage 4 gwerks charger,

no problems at all with the engine running wise,

but 2 things....

every morning i go to start it, it takes 3-4 go's and alot of pumping to get it started.

also my water light is coming on every 7 days, i fill it back up straight away and then around 7 days later same story.

from feeling radiator pipes etc it feels to be running round fine, but cannot understand how i am loosing water quickly as there are never any puddles left where i park or no visible loss?

any help appreciated as usual,

thanks,

James

I had the same problem with my water level. It turned out to be a hairline crack in the black plastic sensor housing on the front of the head.

Ive had my J reg G60 for 16yrs, just love the thing. Coolant loss 1st things to check are the plastic flanges on the head, the one at the front with the temperature sensors & the one on the right hand end. I have replaced both mine, the sealing ring goes soft & falls apart eventually & as stated previously the one at the front can develop hairline cracks that are difficult to see until you take it off. Also worth replacing the sealing rings on the sensors while your at it.

Starting has never been a problem with mine, I found early on that if I touch the throttle it doesnt start from cold so I just keep my right foot away from the peddle & it starts 1st time every time.

Mick

have the same problem with starting my 16v takes 4-5 turns before firing ....and untill recantly it was running fine when going so dont beleave it to be linked ......got to love the old rados eh ? :cuckoo:

get a coolant pressure tester on it, cold and hot, check for leaks, if no leaks are present and pressure drops, this indicates a head/headgasket issue. more a leak on flange/rad ect.

you wont get a puddle when it sittin as theres no pressure in the system. unless its really big hole. if u cant get a pressure tester have a look when the engine is running hot and look then should be able to source it that way.