Sign in to follow this  
Guest chajo

CAT change 16V

Guest chajo

Ay ups,

anyone ever changed a CAT on a 2l 16v? if so how long does it take? and what kind of connection is it, clamp, bolted etc..

Cheers :confused4:

If its like the VR CAT, it will be bolted onto the downpipe but clamped on the other end. How long depends how stuck on it is :lol: Took be a godo hour to get mine off with a rubber hammer - was a right b*gger!

Guest chajo

Cheers mate

If its like the VR CAT, it will be bolted onto the downpipe but clamped on the other end. How long depends how stuck on it is :lol: Took be a godo hour to get mine off with a rubber hammer - was a right b*gger!

You will have to loosen the middle section of the exhaust of maybe even take it off. The CAT is held on by 3 bolts to the downpipe. If they have been on a while then they will most likely snap when you try to undo. Get 3 new bolts and a gasket from the dealers before taking the old one off. Apart from that it is farily easy as long as you dont mind lying under the car.

Guest chajo

thanks fot info. glad you told me about the gaskets as i am attempting it tomorrow.

bloody GSF wouldn't sell me a cat, got one from euro car parts in the end. their reason was that it was non type approved, but when i checked ont tinerweb turns out it IS legal to sell non-type approved cats if its for a pre march 2001 built car, worth knowing, i thought! :|

www.mira.co.uk/News/documents/replaceme ... ations.pdf

You will have to loosen the middle section of the exhaust of maybe even take it off. The CAT is held on by 3 bolts to the downpipe. If they have been on a while then they will most likely snap when you try to undo. Get 3 new bolts and a gasket from the dealers before taking the old one off. Apart from that it is farily easy as long as you dont mind lying under the car.