Pat_McCrotch

SORN and car insurance

I've just had the dreaded insurance renewal for the R32 come in today. Money isn't the issue here but I'm considering SORN'ing the R32 for a month as the Corrado is taxed and insured and I also need to take some miles off the R32.

My question is, does anyone know whether you have to have road tax as part of an Insurance Policy? I can't see anything obvious on my Admiral Policy that says I should?

R32 is less than 3 years old so has an MOT and is also 200 yards off the road on a Private drive.

my Storm is SORN'd at the moment and I'm with Admiral too,although my car is actually in my garage,I think if you were parked on the road and someone crashed into you then perhaps needing RFL would be an issue but if it is SORN'd and off the road then I cant see there being a problem

If the car gets set on fire because of arson or something, or something unexpected happens to it, then you're screwed. An old car like my daily I'd happily leave without insurance if it was SORN'd and off the road but an R32 I most definitely wouldn't... :/

If I understand correctly you want to know whether it's ok to SORN the car but keep the insurance running?

If so, the answer is yes. I do this for around 5 months every year when my Mini is off the road. I SORN it as I don't use it during the winter, but I keep it insured as it helps the policy build up NCB etc.

So yeah, just SORN the R32 until you're ready to use it again, but obviously renew the insurance when it's due. The only time the insurance would become invalid is if you used the R32 on the road when it was either SORN'd or not taxed at all.

HTH

Tom

If its sorned and kept of the road you dont need insurance,therefore being off road it doesnt need taxed.

If its stolen or mysteriously catches fire you will be covered by insurance whether taxed or not

admiral refused to insure mine last may as it had no tax ! I had to put it on a laid up policy.

however I'd been insuring it like this through them for the previous few years.

I don't get this at all

My storm is on a classic policy so NCB don't come into it so why should I insure my car if its off the road from October until May.

Strange one if you ask me!!

I don't get this at all

My storm is on a classic policy so NCB don't come into it so why should I insure my car if its off the road from October until May.

Strange one if you ask me!!

But you don't have to insure it if it's off the road... but you have to declare it as SORN.. you can't leave it taxed and not insure it. Seems straightforward enough to me!

This new SORN law has got more people confused than the digital switchover!

It's simple:

If you use your car on the public roads, tax and insure it.

If the tax has run out, declare it SORN (takes a couple of min on-line) Don't use or keep it in a public place. So driveway, garage etc.

If it's not being used and is sorn insurence is up to you, is the car likely to be stolen or catch fire where it is?

As Jim said........If it's taxed insure it!......................If it's not insured why is it taxed, surely you are not driving it, so cash the tax in!

Simples!

I could really confuse you with the Aussie system........compulsory third party, green slip, pink slip, Fully comp on top of your compulsory third party, if you want it.....yep two policies on one car! And best of all.............STAMP DUTY when you buy a car.......even secondhand!!!!!

Edited by Toohottotrot

But you don't have to insure it if it's off the road... but you have to declare it as SORN.. you can't leave it taxed and not insure it. Seems straightforward enough to me!

Ahh thats fine then as I'm SORNING it and not insuring it