Sign in to follow this  
RichG60

G60 Ignition Timing and other bits

Hi guys,

I did a major service yesterday and attacked the timing / serpentine belt today as per the definitive guide on the forum.

Well started her up and she was running lovely, I marked the fly wheel with tipex to make it easier to spot the timing mark.

Dad tweaked the ignition timing but only at idle, no Blue Temp sensor disconnected and not up to temperature.

The car again was idling correctly after the adjustments were made.

On the way home I noticed the peak boost was lower than usual. about 10-12psi. The car seemed to drive well but not making full boost. Car is running (68mm, gwerk stage 4 and sns 5.5)

Would this be caused by the ignition timing not being carried out correctly e.g. 2000-2500rpm with blue temperature sender disconnected and up to temperature?

Also when I disconnected the spring tensioner unit I noticed the rubber isolator ring has perished and is causing a rattling sound. Can this be replaced separately or will I need to buy the whole damper unit?

Cheers

Rich

if i can remember you have to put the car into a basic setting to adjust ignition timing, well i had to on my 2.0 8v ,

as i adjusted the timing , it would not change unless i carried out a basic setting using 50501b.

Anyone?

Will the engine timing affect max boost or is it the ignition timing. Thing is I'm happy the engine timing is correct.

Cheers mate,

I tweaked the ignition timing as per the instructions and the car is spot on. Re the spring damper on the charger that attaches to the tensioner guide can you get replacement isolator mounts for them? The rubber ring with a metal insert that fits in the bottom of the damper.

pic6.jpg

Alloy refurbs? How do they work? Don't you need the elastomer cross section to aid dampening?

There is a zero at the tdc centre mark this differentiates it from the 6btdc mark.

RPM = 2500

Temp >80c

setting 6+-1

Coolant temp sensor removed

Once done re-attach sensor and measure the advance at same rpm. The advance should be +30odd if not there is an open loop or a fault with the sensor.

I just fitted a schrick asymmetric cam and am running 7degrees advance with a 65mm pulley. She is getting rather strong!

Thanks for the response, that's how it was set up. When you say reconnect the sensor and at the same revs it should be 30odd. What are you referring to 30 degrees? If so how can you tell.

Cheers

What would be the side effect of running open loop all the time?

My car starts first time and has lots of power and idles correctly so assume everything must be alright :).