Sign in to follow this  
harryc

VR6 Plug lead resistance and miss fire question

Hi guys, after picking up my vr i noticed a very slight misfire occasionally and thought id change the plugs and check resistance across the leads.

Plugs seemed in decent condition as i cant see evidence of a change since 2006, leads were a slightly different story;

cylinder 6 -7.25K

cylinder 4 - 0, Wrong plug lead used and the lead removal tool wouldn't get round it so i pulled it in anger and 'SNAP', one dead lead

cylinder 2 -5.85K

cylinder 1 -6.04K

cylinder 3 - 0 - 5.06K, was really difficult to get a reading at all due to corrosion of the terminal at plug end.

cylinder 5 -6.42 (lead connections were shiney and looked brand new so took this to be a 'good' level of resistance)

The correct resistance should be between 5-7k i've read on here but obviously i think there's a problem with lead 3 despite the resistance being within tolerance. I've swapped all the plugs bar cylinders 3 and 5 as my plug tool wouldn't reach deep enough to remove the old plugs. Would a complete set of new leads be required or can i just replace the 2 (one dead one corroded) leads and if so where's the best place to get them?

Local motor factor has quoted me £57 inc VAT for a new set. Looking on ebay there seems to be a number of different sets for the vr, im guessing the coil pack and dizzy engines need different sets?

Just got a call back and they couldn't get the original leads that they quoted on but they could get a lucas set @ £65.12, called vw and they quoted me some figure around 160... At this price is it worth just getting a performance set?

Little update; i fitted the new leads today and the idle is much smoother and the engine seems to pull a little better. Couldnt change 2 of the plugs as my plug tool wasnt deep enough and fouled the cover.

New leads all had a resistance of 5.01-5.03K ohms in case anyone's wondering what a healthy reading is.