Sign in to follow this  
umonkeyz

shall i change inner tie rods only?

Would you say that it's worth the extra to get Tie Rods from VW?

I've been looking around for complete Tie Rods and been quoted: 75 per side from VW, 78 + VAT(!) from TPS and VW-spares do them for 17 + VAT.

I know pattern bushes are a no no, but will AVS/VW-spares Tie Rods be ok as its just basically a metal rod!?

Andy

Would you say that it's worth the extra to get Tie Rods from VW?

I've been looking around for complete Tie Rods and been quoted: 75 per side from VW, 78 + VAT(!) from TPS and VW-spares do them for 17 + VAT.

I know pattern bushes are a no no, but will AVS/VW-spares Tie Rods be ok as its just basically a metal rod!?

Andy

Yeah I'd say so although they are a lot more on the VR... the ends are certainly worth getting from VAG as the boots on pattern ones don't fit well at all and let water in... the thing with the pattern rods is that the rust like mad after 1-2 years making future adjustment difficult - you could paint them though and then add a load of grease or wax after setup.

Other thing to make sure is that the pattern ones are 6 sided if you buy them, some that GSF sell only have 2 flats so you can only tighten them up properly with the steering rack or engine out!

my AVS ones are FEBI and although they needed painting after one winter of light driving and they only have one pair of flats for tightening, it wasn't a problem doing them up, getting purchase on the old ones was the main problem, had to lower the subframe a little to get at the rack and they were multiple 'flats' VW ones!

Hmm I guess I should stay with genuine as I'll soon have 300+ BHP going through the front end :D

Suprising that TPS are more expensive for Tie Rods than VW themselves though!