Sign in to follow this  
webbatron

not too sure, autobox changing up too early

Hello

I have recently bought a vr6 auto. Ran fine until now, but at between 30 - 40mph the car seems to stutter a little bit, feels like it's changing gear to early and struggling with it. When i accelerate a bit heavier and push through these speeds it doesn't happen.

Not sure if its a cold weather thing.

Confused am i. Any ideas much appeciated.

PTN. the gear box isn't that old.

Cheers

Webby

Have you tried changing the ATF as my merc was the same until i changed the fluid, much smoother now

Yeah - was gonna say - step one for me would be a change of the transmission fluid. It's probably been in there since day one and I have heard that old ATF can cause all kinds of problems with gear change! Worth getting it done. There's possibly also a gearbox oil filter on the automatic tho not sure about that?

Yes drop the pan and there will be a filter that should be changed as well, With mine it made abig diference to the change :)

VAGCOM should be the first thing you do but as above, when was the oil last changed?

If you don't know when then best to drop the sump and do a full oil change with filter.