Sign in to follow this  
Leavon

ABS problem...

I posted in the general forum about the trials and tribulations of my car but more specifically, I wonder if anybody can enlighten me about the ABS system.

The pump is on all the time which means that when you touch the brake pedal it immediatley pushes back (obviously I'm not driving the car). My local garage ran VAGcom and said that they got a communication error from the ABS system and therefore couldn't diagnose the fault, they recommended I replace the system and quoted me 1600 quid. If I were going to do that I'd obviously get a part off Ebay, but I'd like to try and diagnose what's wrong with the thing before I start replacing parts. Has anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,

If they cant diagnose the problem then how do they know its the pump until you can get vagcom working you wont know, what were they using to diagnose the problem a laptop or one of them portable handheld jobbies as last time i was at psi tuning they plugged in the hand held one but came up with a load of errors, plugged in the laptop and no probs Andy who owns the place said that the hand held ones dont work very well with the older cars. But any way if the used a laptop they should have been able to diagnose it.

Saying replace the whole sytem is the easy way out and a way of making money off you!!

I wouldn't give them a penny if they can't diagnose it properly. I have just bought a £10 VAG-COM cable and using the freeware software I also get the communication error on the ABS test. If they have the same result then perhaps they're skimping on the diagnostic tools as well. Take it somewhere better.

In the end me and a mate spent half an hour unplugging the ABS until we diagnosed a faulty relay (179), it was stuck in the on position. So I took the relay down to the garage and explained that if I had left them to replace the pump/ECU it still wouldn't have fixed the problem and I would've been left with a 2K bill, their response was, "That's one to watch for" and " you never can tell", the mind boggles......

In the end me and a mate spent half an hour unplugging the ABS until we diagnosed a faulty relay (179), it was stuck in the on position. So I took the relay down to the garage and explained that if I had left them to replace the pump/ECU it still wouldn't have fixed the problem and I would've been left with a 2K bill, their response was, "That's one to watch for" and " you never can tell", the mind boggles......

Glad you didnt fall into their trap mate :D