Sign in to follow this  
jimbobbalooba

Anyone made a loom from scratch before??

I've decided (well... pending any horror stories from you lot) to make a brand new wiring loom for the VR6. New or refurbished multi connectors but all new cable, terminals and webbing/shielding.

Am I nuts to even think about doing this?? I'm not in particular hurry as this is a loooong term restoration project and I'm quite patient (actually that's a complete lie but I can follow instructions). Electricity has never been my friend when it comes to wiring around the house but I think this is something slightly different as I'll essentially just be copying what's already been made.

Thoughts and suggestions would be very welcome.

Jim

Fair bit of work involved, simply extending engine looms is a little daunting, I've made looms for dash functions and they all went well, shouldn't be that bad realy if you've plenty if time and the patience of a saint, I've enquired about new engine looms from the dealers before and they want around 200 if I remember right, keep us posted as to how you get along, and what all the bits and peices cost,

200 quid?? Really?? Blimey I might buy one then. Now I really don't know what to do, although I would still like the challenge.

Other than ripping the old one out (which is happening soon anyway) and looking at it, are there any other plans to making a loom for the Corrado VR6? In the Bentley perhaps? I don't have one of those yet but will soon hopefully.

I also like the idea of everything being heat shielded properly although I guess I could buy a new loom and shield that correctly instead.

Hmm.... what to do. :confused4:

Jim