Sign in to follow this  
4eyes2wheels

Bringing a VR6 up to date.

As standard, they are capable, rewarding and really good fun but it's not until you update the chassis with more modern kit that they REALLY come alive. Simple things like R32 rear wishbone bushes, a rear anti-roll bar and good quality coilovers utterly transforms them. And of course, a general replacement of all the chassis bushes is a good idea too, otherwise you will never experience what the journalists praised the car for in the 90s.

I'd be interested to know roughly how much this sort of upgrade would cost.

I love my Corrado and don't do many miles but I do need it to be reliable (what am I thinking?) so wondering what else needs to be done to bring a decent 73k VR6 up to "modern" standards. Basically I have the chance to buy my brothers Sciriocco off him in a couple of years - it will have 3 years / 90k on it by then - and I'd get it for a knock down price but if I could make the VR6 as reliable then I'd probably prefer to keep the C.

I'm not mechanical but (fortunately) could afford to have various bits done.

So if for, say, a couple of grand I could have all the bits that are liable to be on the way out replaced (engine sensors, suspension, exhaust, and no doubt 100 other things I don't know about) and retain the exclusivity and classic look and feel I'd likely do that.

Advice / talk me out of it / recommend somewhere in Surrey who can give me honest advice and help?

Thanks guys and gals!

yes, everything kev mentions could be done for about 1200ish quid, if you want a new exhaust add another 400 or so, and then you've got 400 which would do quite a few other bits and pieces that you'd want before getting to the obvious clutch and chains job.

I had a full suspension re-build last year up at DG - cost was around £800 but I think that included extra time to take the car apart - looked like in 14 years nothing to this degree had happened so various track rods/bolts were rusted/knackered etc. It was a lot easier putting it back together with new parts.

Check out their website and click on customer cars to see quite a few Corrados (including mine 8) ). http://www.dgautotech.com/dgauto/. Both Dave and Graham own Corrados and seem to look after a fair few forum members cars - I'd drop them an e-mail to get some more details.

As for garages nearer to you in Surrey you have The Phirm who are based near Basingstoke - I've never been there so don't have any views on their work.

Thanks chaps - booked in to go to DG Autotech (nice 130 mile each way trip but I'm sure they are worth it) to get some top notch advice on what needs to be done.