Sign in to follow this  
Escape

VR6 conversion

Hi, I want to do this conversion to my valver.

for a few reasons,

1. the starter motor fell off after I tried to start it one day, sheering both bolts off.

2. It makes long bangs sometimes pulling away in 1st

3. the slave cylinder needs replacing

4. Just because.

Anyway, I've been reading around the forum and I just dont have the room to fit the engine,

so quick run down, whats needed?

Can I keep the original gearbox?

What do I have to do concerning the loom and ecu? Completly replace it with a vr6 loom?

Also, does anyone in the exeter area fancy doing the conversion for me for a nominal fee?

thanks

Sorry to say this again but ... why not just buy a VR? The time and cost, unless you have a serious amount of time invested in the Valver, means it's just a whole lot easier to buy a VR to begin with.

Sorry to say this again but ... why not just buy a VR? The time and cost, unless you have a serious amount of time invested in the Valver, means it's just a whole lot easier to buy a VR to begin with.

Yep this has been posted on our local forum and I've said the exact same thing as you have sir. Why bother :cuckoo:

If you have to ask things like can you use the existing gearbox then you know you're in for a world of pain and lots of expense :gag:

My advice would be, if you are wanting to do a VR conversion to a valver, better to stick a 24v in there instead. At least you can't buy a Corrado with one of those in as standard. It will be the same amount of work and the difference in price will be minimal.

You'll need engine, loom AND gearbox, for either 12v or 24v.

Sorry but I totally disagree with anyone who dissaproves putting a vr6 into a four cylinder corrado.

You can buy vr6 engine, gearbox, loom, ecu, all ancillarys, g60 brakes and subframe for £500. And fit it yourself quite easily, can be done in a weekend (althought you will benefit from takin a week) and are very strong engines, (don't hear about half the bottom end problems 24v have when turboed)

to fit a 1.8t your talkin £2000, pretty much sames goes for r32 and 24v, all will take a hell of a lot longer, and be twice the headache.

Rado vrs sell for around 2grand plus, 16v rados £500 plus

My 16v dropped a valve recently, I couldn't have sold my non running car and bought a rado vr, instead whilst searching for 9a/6a and abfs, I found a 200bhp amd chipped vr everything needed fr the swap, plus a magnex system, big brakes, for 300quid, all from a crash damaged mk3, (I was alittle lucky, but found loads for around £400) spent a week fitting it nicely, having had previous experience with my old mk2. best decision Ive made all year, made up for the money lost in January having a 9a fully rehoned, p+p, fully reconed, with plans for itbs to fail on me within days. All from a inlet valve stickin in a guide.

I've been using the car everyday for work since, as I was before,

Your best bet is to go on mk2vr6.com corrado front ends are pretty much the same except you don't have to ding the chassis leg for the pullys, obd2 is easier to wire up, just read up to get an idea of a shopping list, valver clocks and fuel pump are fine, there's loads of info online. If you lived anywere near sheffield ied have helped you with the

swap, I enjoy doin it.

rant over, the offer to help, goes to anyones near or around Sheffield as long as you got tea n biscuits.

No one is particularly disapproving of the theory. I think we're just picking up on the fact that the OP doesn't seem to really know all that much about the conversion .... doesn't have the room to do it and, as they're asking for someone else to do it, I'm guessing not really the confidence to tackle it.

You have to admit it's far from a plug and play job.

And I'd like to see someone who could do an R32 or even just a 24v conversion for £2k incl parts all in ... to any decent standard anyway. I'm not totally disagreeing but I think you're painting a fairly pleasant picture of a job that can be a complete arse especially if you're not aware of everything that's involved.

Fair play, you're speaking from experience and, I'll be completely honest, I'm going by what I've read so I'm far from anything even resembling an authority on the subject!

You are right in that the guy who asked the original question doesn't seem to be in the best position to take on an engine conversion, and would proberbly be beat of fixing what he has and learning alittle doin it

my friend will supply and fit 1.8ts for around 2k to a very good standard, you will have most likely seen cars he had hand in, and simply added r32/24v in there because 2ks probly the least you could do it for,

as for plug and play, I wired up my obd2 Vr the other week and spent half an hour scratching my head and searching for wires thinkin it can't be this easy, before turning the key to find it realy is plug and play, obd1 involves alittle thinking and Reading of diagrams, but obd2 realy is a doddle.

This thread is the wrong place for my rant, but a vr6 swap is a good cheap option, and with more people goin 24v vr6s are becoming more readily available.