Sign in to follow this  
muppetlab

REAR BRAKES PULLING

After months of slog and nearly getting the damn car sorted the rear brakes are f :censored: ing me right off. Just after i did a mk4 conversion with red stuff pads and new discs it started pulling to the n/s under braking. Definitely from the rear as the steering wheel does not pull and i can feel the car pivoting around the n/s rear wheel. Thought i was the 2nd hand calipers so sourced another for the driver side rear and fitted it tonight and no change. The only wierd thing is when i pressure bleed it caliper not much comes out. its enough to bleed it but its a bit slow. Both the calipers bleed rate on the driverside are the same slow bleeding. I remember replacing a couple of copper lines from the bias valve, so maybe its this or could the bias valve be faulty on one side? There seems to be a fair bit of fluid come out if i remove the caliper bleed nipple completely so i am stumped. I am going to replace the bias valve and all the rear solid lines this time. I was going to use a flexible braided hose. anyone know where i can get some hose and fittings to make my own up to what ever length? Final thought - could the rear axle bush on the nearside be duff and cause the the axle to move under braking, thanks for any help its doing my nut in this car. Got a european trip to plan and fancied a stab at the ring this summer but not if the car wont handle properly. phew.....

Thanks for that link, they look just the job and much easier than fiddling around with rolls of copper pipe. Think my imbalance may have been caused by a sticking handbrake cable. just after i fitted the new pads the driverside handbrake stuck on which pretty much cooked the pads. have mixed up the pads today and seems better so far....fingers crossed.

does your abs light come on and off when you start the car? i.e is your abs working correctly?

one thing i found was my car would do exactly the symptoms you describe when it had an abs fault that odly turned out to be a dodgy rear sensor.

thing is people are in the habit of removing the abs light as a cheap fix to get the car through an MOT...

yep as far as i know abs is okay. Replaced 3 sensors and the light for the mot a couple of months ago and it lights and goes out okay. abs works as can feel it pulsing when trying out the brakes :wink: Thin is at the time i did loads like the braided lines, replaced a couple or manky copper pipes, mk4 calipers, new rear pads/discs/bearings and new tyres all round so its hard to tell which one or bit it is causing the problems. Am leaning towards the handrake having cooked one set of pads or the tyres. oh well all fun and games and at least its warmer and dryer than when i was crawling about in minus temps in jan and feb! all part of rado ownership i guess. just would like it all to work nicely for a week at least.