Sign in to follow this  
veedub16v

a different ABS problem!

hey guys, i have a problem with my abs that doesn't seem to have been covered before, i've had a good search but found nothing.

the problem is that the light comes on, without fail, the first time the car gets to 60 whilst driving. When the ignition is turned on the light comes on and goes off like it should.

I have been over all the sensors and cleaned them, and bought a copy of vag com, but can't get it to communicate :cuckoo:

has anyone had this problem?

cheers

What engine is it? - You need to use an Electro Isolated cable (not optical) and v409.0 or later of VAGCOM with the baud rate set to 4,800 for the 9A only and set this before you interrogate the ECU

Your problem sounds like wheel bearings or distorted ABS rings / cages

its a g60 rado mate.

i'll inspect the abs rings next then! thinking about it the guy i bought the car off had just changed the rear discs so maybe these are off centre or missing!

do you know why 60mph is significant to the system? maybe the rears don't start 'sensing' until this speed?

its a g60 rado mate.

i'll inspect the abs rings next then! thinking about it the guy i bought the car off had just changed the rear discs so maybe these are off centre or missing!

do you know why 60mph is significant to the system? maybe the rears don't start 'sensing' until this speed?

Ah ok - VAGCOM should just work then but for ABS only... maybe try a different or known good laptop / cable?

Not sure why 60 is significant but this is always the speed that you know if wheels are not balanced properly.... I'm guessing the rear cages were re-used and slightly distorted and this only becomes an issue at 60mph, check the rear bearings are not too loose either - non-genuine bearings often needs adjustment after fitting.

Hi mate,

I had a similar problem, it wasn't as 60 though it was significantly faster (on a private road)...

Got to a certain speed and the ABS light came on and stayed on, but once I got to a speed where I could turn everything off, the light extinguished. Never had a problem with the ABS and I haven't fixed anything on it but it hasn't happened since, mainly as I drive at the speed limit 8)

i got round to investigating this the other day, and the problem turned out to be one abs ring not quite being pressed onto the disc square :p

all sorted now :clap: