Sign in to follow this  
jimbobbalooba

VR6 Engine removed!!

Easier than we thought it would be but still came with some difficulties...

img00330-20100424-0956.jpg?w=300

Taking the weight...

img00332-20100424-0959.jpg?w=300

Engine out!! yay!!

img00335-20100424-1031.jpg?w=300

Gearbox removed - A few big obvious bolts but missed the plate at the bottom with two 10mm bolts which were so covered in grime that they weren't seen. Once these were removed it took a bit of  'jiggling' and then the box came off; it's bloody heavy and it was well worth draining the oil from it the day before to help with the weight reduction.

img00334-20100424-1030.jpg?w=300

The gearbox...

img00342-20100424-1243.jpg?w=300

Setting up the engine to fit onto the engine frame...

img00337-20100424-1031.jpg?w=300

What's left behind...

img00344-20100424-1323.jpg?w=300

Tying up the driveshafts with zippy ties to stop them dragging on the floor.

img00346-20100424-1333.jpg?w=300

A slightly raised front end now.

img00347-20100424-1333.jpg?w=300

EXCLUSIVE - Andi's (the forum admin) new motor... very nice although it's no corrado.

Hey mate, good to see you got the engine out!

I'm taking mine out in a week or two. Just got the gearbox off my spare engine, do you know what tools I need to take the cluthh and flywheel off?

Can you not just use the 4 19mm bolts that held the box on to mount to the engine stand?

Hey mate, good to see you got the engine out!

I'm taking mine out in a week or two. Just got the gearbox off my spare engine, do you know what tools I need to take the cluthh and flywheel off?

Can you not just use the 4 19mm bolts that held the box on to mount to the engine stand?

Nothing seemed to be straight forward with the gearbox removal.

1. To get the clutch plate off you'll need a spline socket (female); don't know what size as I didn't have one. I used my Irwin bolt grip and will replace with new ones when the time comes. I think there are about 6 or 8 of these from memory, about 10-11mm I think.

23wgn8.jpg

2. Once the plate is off the clutch just comes straight off, no bolts or anything (I think, can't really remember now - doh).

3. To get the flywheel off you'll firstly need to either a.) Lock it in position using a flywheel lock and then use a spline socket (male) and ratchet to remove the 10-12 spline bolts which hold the flywheel on, or b.) if you don't have a flywheel lock then you can use an impact wrench if you happen to have one. This is what I did and because of the inertia of the flywheel and the force of the wrench, the flywheel didn't turn whilst trying to get the bolts off.

4. You'll then need a flywheel puller which looks like this...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-13pc-FLYWHEEL ... 036wt_1165

DON'T BUY THE LASER MINI FLYWHEEL PULLER AS IT DOESN'T FIT!!! This is what I did so I unfortunately wasn't able to get the flywheel off this weekend; I'll save that for another day now. Oh by the way, that ebay link was simply the first one I found, I'm not trying to sell something!! :D

The engine frame that I have is a sealy one where there are four black adjustable 'pegs' which you line up with four holes on the block once the gearbox is removed. You won't be able to use the existing bolts as they won't be long enough to go through the peg and then screw sufficiently into the block. You'll need 4x M12x100mm Bolts for this job. I don't think they need to be high tensile but I don't think it would do any harm. I couldn't find the bloody things anywhere so I opted for 4x M12x140mm studs with nuts and washers. I essentially made my own bolts, which in fact I found quite usefull... not a bad idea to do the same. I bought them for about £3 for a well known DIY store that rhymes with 'sticks' :norty:

Once the clutch is off, I was able to get the pegs on the engine stand to fit flush to the block so it's not actually necessary to remove the flywheel to mount it. The only problem with this is that when I come to taking out the crank, I'll need to de-mount the engine and remove the flywheel, but hey, no biggy.

Best of luck with the engine removal, it's quite satisfying to stand back and see what you've done afterwards too!

If you need any other help, feel free to PM me and I'll give you my moby number.

Have fun

Jim