Sign in to follow this  
deanpompey

some 16v "issues" starting from cold mainly

ok so my Rado 16v is an absolute bitch when you first fire her up from cold.

she starts on the button, but really really struggles to idle unless you give it some revs. when you do give it some revs it bogs down quite badly, and feels like it misfires maybe.

it wont clear on its own either, doesnt matter if you keep revving it, it stays the same. Its only once you actually drive it, and give it some in first/second a few times that it actually sorts itself out.

once it does, there is no more hesitation during acceleration at all at any revs, hard or gentle on the throttle.

The only other thing is that when coming off the accelerator, she can feel a bit juddery, but not in an engine mount kinda way, almost feels like she's being starved of fuel if that makes sense?

Only problem i am actually aware of on the car is that the downpipe is blowing quite a bit, but dont think that could be the cause of either really?

anyone have any ideas on these?

will be giving her a full service next month, but just wondering whether it could be metering head related, fifth injector etc ?

cheers

dean

possible isv related - take it off and clean it with carb cleaner and then a light lube with some 3in1

plenty of threads relating to this issue in the engine section

Thinking that it could be a quite seriously leaky injector perhaps.. leaks fuel at night whilst the car is stopped and when you come to start it in the morning you're dealing with a flooded engine. Or perhaps the spray pattern on one of the injectors is miles off.

A good test for ropey running from cold is to completely disconnect the 5th injector.. the car will start / run absolutely fine without it anyway. Just unclip the blue connector from it before you try and start it tomorrow and see how it goes...

cheers guys.

doesnt strike me as ISV related,hence my post. generally when iv had isv problems the idle at all revs is off, however once this has been pegged a bit it runs sweetly. I will however whip it off and soak it in petrol for bit see if it helps.

dodgy injector is something i didnt think about at all as it runs awesomely after initial period, but way you said it, would certainly make sense, something to look into.

i'll disconnect 5th injector and see whats what with that/

any more ideas?

ok so 5th injector was already disconnected, and plugging it in made no difference. mate has one somewhere in his shed so that will be replaced soon enough.

ISV is not the proper one. it is a concoction of what i think is a mk1 1.6 gti isv, and some random volvo hoses! Got a KR ISV off mate, just need to chop the correct plug back onto it and see if that helps. think it will, cos when i disconnected it there was no difference at all in the way it ran, except it took longer to settle at idle.

check the 3 single sensors on the side of the block below the isv.

they are temp senders for the isv 'brain' one of mine had corroded the pin away from the sender and was sending no signal so isv wasn't working.

£5 later and and all the idle issues have gone and she runs so much sweeter.

ok so i took everything apart yesterday (isv, TB, breathers, metering head) cleaned it ll up, and has made a slight difference.

But, still boggy at start up.

new (correct) isv going on next week, so hopefully that will help. Mate had a look at her today and he reckons she's running lean, yet id swear it was running rich to be so boggy?

Next step really has to be to get the timing and air/fuel mixture reset I think.