Sign in to follow this  
Ralphead

1.8 to 2.0

Hi all. I'm looking at a 2 litre kr to replace the rattly 1.8 in my '90 16v. It is still on a subframe with g'box, rack, loom and injection system ect. Does anyone know if I can just bolt the whole lot in, plug and play if you will? Or would the donor car have had an imobilisor or different ignition system to make thing even more fun? Unfortunately the shell has been scrapped so I don't have alot to go on. Cheers

a 2L from a passat or corrado (9A engine) will pop straight in and shares all the same ancilliaries

you'll need to keep the fuel system, warm up regulator and ignition system from the KR, so don't throw anything away :)

it's a pretty easy job as far as transplants go

If you wanted to fit an ABF engine (mk3 golf 16v/ibiza) then it's a little more involved, Club GTI forum has a lot of info on this in their 16v section, as a factory engine the ABF is the best 16v, lots of minor improvements over the 9A, but ultimately there's little in it power wise and a 9A on K-jet from the 1.8 goes pretty well :)

Thankyou. The engine I'm looking at is from a Corrado so that's ideal. I was just concerned that the cars electrics may have been different.

Sorry to jack the thread but i've just acquired a 9a engine out of a passat and i'm looking at doing the swap for my 1.8 this weekend. I've read in a few places that there may be fuelling issues. Is this gonna be a problem for me?

Also, is there anything else i need to be wary of? I know its been covered before but i've trawled old threads and can't quite get simple answers. And time is short.

whack it in, wire up all the K-jet stuff to it and away you go.

put fresh plugs in, drive a few miles on it and check the plugs, you'll soon see if it's running too rich or too lean.

Once you're happy it's got no major problems, pay for an hour or two to have the fuelling and ignition set up on a rolling road to get the best from it.

Nothing major to look out for on the swap, essentially you use the bare block and head from the 9A and all the KR manifold, throttle body inlet, metering head ignition stuff... from the 1.8.

I'm assuming you have access to a timing light to set/check the base ignition timing on the distributor.

Tweaking the metering head idle CO setting and Warm up regulator control pressure is best left to the rolling road, but you could get another 10bhp from having it set up properly.

The 9a 2.0l block and head are identical casts on the outside to your 1.8, you can also use an abf on your k-jet managment and get good results, but it is a taller block and you will have to use all your kr aux belt pulleys n alt. All nice n easy, don't waste your time trying to use te 9a ecu and loom the kr set up is more tuneable, the abf managment involves alittle bit more messing. My friends has an abf on k-jet has loads of torque

One more thing. What are the similarities between the gearboxes? I was planning on inspecting the clutch on both engines and using the best one. Is this possible? Or do i need to use the whole setup from the 9a i.e. box and engine?

boxes and clutches are basically the same, the KR has shorter ratios though, partly because the KR revs to 7,200 and the 9A with standard cams runs out of puff well before then.

If it's in good nick, I'd probably swap the shift tower and cable mounting bracket fromthe 9A box to the KR as it's a slightly better design, but only if it doesn't have lots of play as you can get good and bad of either.

Right then guys. Urgent help needed.

Engine is in, turns over and is sparking fine. I'm not getting any fuel past the metering unit. Up to that point its fine, loads of fuel and good pressure.

I've got it to fire using easy start so i am wondering if the metering unit has give up the ghost, or have i done something wrong?

Any help massively appreciated. :D