Sign in to follow this  
adolf1976

new to this and lost

hi to all.

just brought a 94 2.0 16v mulberry rado, but i got probs

its got rough idleing, fine above 1500 rpm but a dog below.have read about isv's bts's and ecu resets but dont no where to start. have cleaned t/b dont no where the others r yet.is there any diagrams for the engine bay components :brickwall:

seem to be using a bit of water, no obvius head gaskets signs tho

oil temp dosent work on dash computer and temp takes an age, thermostat comes to mind

i am quite a diy mech but without a manual im a bit stuck, been driving diesel vans for five years

any help would be great

spent a day on it and only freed my siezed caliper, but progress is progress :clap:

Welcome to the forum.

ISV is always a good place to check, as is all associate vac pipework - check it all for splits / leaks, and thoroughly clean out the ISV with some carb cleaner followed by a quick squirt of WD40 just to lubricate it a bit. Worth also getting timing / fuelling checked.

For the missing water, worth checking the coolant flanges on the front and side of the head as they're plastic and go brittle with age - and can crack & leak.

Oil temp missing could just be the sender not connected perhaps? Thermostat quite a likely candidate for the water temp taking ages to come up - have you had a feel of the top & bottom radiator pipes whilst the car is warming up? Only the top should get warm over the first 5 or so minutes of warming up then the bottom pipe should get warm as the thermostat opens.

Would love to see some pics. Sold a Blackberry 2.0 16v years back in Birmingham and have never heard / seen anything of it since and keep hoping it'll turn up on the forum again!

thanks for the info,

im struggling to find isv :scratch: think its prob stupidity on my part

no pics at mo only had it two days, its got history in bath ,cardiff and bridgend. cloth interior five spoke vw alloys

owned one shortly b4 but had to sell for the mortgage man. never got to enjoy it.was a 93 2.0 16v in blue. chipped, remapped , induction kit was good for 150 bhp had rolling road set up an all :pukeright:

will continue with isv hunt and i think i found water leak, where hose connects to engine behind injectors, looks very corroded

Here is where to find the ISV :D

Its the black tube type thing

100326_133419-1.jpg

WOOHOO

thanks soooo much, almost took it off earlier. but i'd looked so hard i confused myself and had doubt.

just found vag com, every diagram ill ever need

damn i need a week off work!!!!!!!

I'm not sure to be honest.. I'm fairly sure it buzzes for a second when you turn on the ignition but then I'm pretty sure it's quiet after that. As I say though - it might not be entirely duff and a good clean out with carb cleaner may help you.

Failing that they show up on eBay regularly second hand for £10 to £20... and FYI the VR6 ISV works just fine on the 2.0 16v if you do end up going for a replacement and can't find one for a 2.0 16v :)

thanks jim, cant wait to get it sorted.

this forum is like a information goldmine. will get some pics up as soon as its been cleaned. i am begining a long list of things that 'need doing' before the 'i want list starts'

cant believe how i coulndt find isv. i had to change it on a golf for a mate doh!. thats wot driving a transit does to ya, it was my daily droner drainer. it droned like a diesel and drained my love of cars and driving. but it only broke down once in 2 years thats got to be close to a record for a F**D

Yup, ISV buzzes/hums all the time the ignition is switched on though whn I cleaned mine recently it was so quiet you could actually feel it by touch more than hear it.

sorry but what about nitro fuel for radio control cars

i aint got no carb cleaner and didnt want to mess about gettin petrol out of car

well i just spent last two hours strippin isv off cleanin wif petrol, checking oil and water temp sensors( blue and yellow wires on filter head is this right?). didnt have any readin on test lite on either wires guessing theyve broke somewhere.

tidied up ht leads,injector rail ,general wiring here there and everywhere. used cable ties for mo as all brackets and clips have perished.

put isv back on and.........no hum no vibe no chang in engine. ah well time to get another. is there any other cars i can use one from ie golf or so.

i didnt have any alarm instructions with car and finally sourced it thro here wot it was. lo and behold the :censored: thing wouldnt let me in when i got back from dinner at work. tried to turn key on alrm but it was siezed, wd40 and spare key fob kindly brought up by wife and it nearly deafened me.

for some reason its louder one way than the other. 50 shoppers from tesco stood looking at me frantically running round trying to stop it :epicfail: .

finally took battery off and it was quiet again.bat back on held keyfob right as rain. but what a drama.

ive been up since four oclock,endless probs at work, got nowhere in fixing car, just had some grub, sat down and the kids are in bed, but best of all i own a corrado again :luvlove:

For the 2.0 16v I only know that the 2.0 16v and the VR6 ISV will fit. Earlier 1.8 16v's and the G60 ISV's are very different. There may be others but I don't know what they are!

There's a used VR6 ISV on eBay at the minute for about £25 delivered.

If its the 9a engine you have then the passat (1990- 1993 (I think))has the same 2lt engine so that could be an option

hi all.

Finally got my raddo to idle proper tonite. :grin: So far i have.......

Replaced isv . Twice

checked and checked for air leaks

replaced rkr gasket

new water pump and stat

new sensors around the head

new water inlet flanges x 2

new starter

new tb and cleaned old one first

finally got hold of a 2nd hand metering head today cost me eight quid. Hours work changing and my car is idling lovely. Took old one apart and compared it to 'new' one. Old one had tamper proof seal removed for the mixture and the internals had been fidlled with. Made a sucking noise when i pushed it up. Seemed quitte restricted.

Anyway thanks to all you guys for all the help and to the forum as a whole for the wealth of information

onto the next problem :clap:

scott :shrug: