Sign in to follow this  
rexzobados

1.8 16v running problems

after fitting a new starter motor, cleaning everything up and doing a service my car doesn't like to start again after a drive. Starts first time and runs fine but it all seems to happen when the engine gets warm. Any ideas?

brand new starter or second hand?

sounds like the starter solenoid is weak and when hot (heat soak from engine after a run) can weaken enough so it doesn't throw out the starter motor shaft and gear, if this is the problem, then 20-30 minutes of cooling down and it will work again.

it is a new starter motor. I do have to admit if i leave it twenty mins it does start. Is there anything i can do to fix it?

was it a recon starter?

sometimes they use dubious parts.

You can sometimes whack the thing to release it but that's not exactly a solution.

You can swap over solenoids easily enough, but if you bought it new can't you take it back?

it was brand new. I was just wondering if it could be something else. If there isn't anything else i can do then i guess i'll take it off and return it

could be a few things if you are on kjet, metering flap sticking open causing flooding, worn (leaky) injectors, dodgy accumulator not holding fuel pressure once warm/hot i am sure there are others