Sign in to follow this  
pilky1234

oil leak

hello i have an oil leak and i have seen some seeping out of the bit of like housing just above my oil filter around the kind of seam, does anybody know the proper name for the bit above the oil filter?? if so roughly the price for replacement. i have bought some metal epoxy to try and seal it as a stop gap for know the leak isnt excessive but its enough to leave quite a few drops overnight on my drive id say about 25 ml ish :s. i apologise for my lack of knowledge i suppose thats why i need the help. p.s. its a 1990 1.8 16v rado thanks in advance

its the oil cooler

fairly common failure, if it's failing externally, condition internally could also be ropey, i'd get it replaced soon to prevent water getting into oil and vice versa.

If the KR engine got the same internal cooler system as a G60, then the picture below shows the seal that's bad.

Just the seal would be around £3-4 at the dealers I'd imagine. Not really that big of a job to do, unless everything's stuck obviously.

If you're gonna replace the oil cooler too, it'd be a waste to replace it with a new internal cooler imo - costs too much - if they still make them. Maybe a decent used one if yours is bad..?

Otherwise I'd invest in an external kit if it was up to me.. :)

thanks for such a detailed reply u guys are stars :) by external do you mean seal the gap with say a metal epoxy????

no, don't bodge it, if the seal between the oil filter bracket and the oil cooler is shot, that's an easy replacement sort of rubber o-ring with locating lugs on it, but if the casting of the heat exchanger/oil cooler is damaged and leaking then get a new one, common part on many 4 cyl vw engines and fairly cheap as a pattern part.

If it's between the oil filter bracket and the block then it's a little trickier to get at, but there's a fibre like gasket that you'll need to order from VW and make sure you get the part for a 1.8 16v and not 2L 16v as the bracket and gasket changes shape between the models.

ok ill hold of the diy :s its going to the garage for a new starter motor next week so il get a hands on opinion aswell thanks for the info guys :D :D