Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged Junkie

Clicking starter

Hi All

Been a while since i been on here but the C playing up again :-(

Did a search but just really wanted to check that i came to the right conclusion as to the problem...

Right first of all, had to get a new starter motor around august time last year because the starter on there fell to pieces :censored:

Ended up getting one from GSF, which worked fine for about 2 weeks then i started getting just a clicking noise when trying to start the car.

This has been going ever since at very random times, when the car was cold or hot but because i was out of work i really didn`t bother too much about it.

Now its getting worse and worse, doing the clicking thing more and more i decided i better do something about it. Took the starter off tuesday, cleaned the solenoid put it back together and guess what? worked fine for 2days then click click click..... :epicfail:

The only way to get it to turn over is to put it in 2nd gear with handbrake off and rock it back & fore...then it will turn over & start by itself, so i don`t think its a voltage issue...

do you think replacing the starter will get rid of this problem because i can`t think what else to try :shrug:

Cheers

Ian

sounds like the solenoid is trying but the starter gear isn't being thrown out, must be a duff starter I reckon, exchange GSF ones have a bit of a variable reputation.

Well decided to go to another place and get another starter at a cost of £123 just because i`ve had enough of pushing the car to get it to start...

Got it this morning fitted it this afternoon, changed the main power cable from the battery to the starter aswell because the old one looked very ropey!!

and guess what...click click cilck the bloody thing still would not start, rocked the car back and forth in gear and hey presto the fracking thing started :censored:

Am at a complete loss of what to do next :shrug:

any ideas????

Sounds daft but try having the clutch down when starting it.

The odds on having two duff starters are slim, do you have a volt/ampmeter you can use to check out what it is receiving frm the battery?

Sounds daft but try having the clutch down when starting it.

The odds on having two duff starters are slim, do you have a volt/ampmeter you can use to check out what it is receiving frm the battery?

Yeah, always start any car with the clutch down...A habit i got into with the 2 sciroccos i owned previously :wink:

Haven`t checked with the volt meter yet...gave up to be honest for the day... :brickwall:

Will check tomorrow, also might rig up a wire to start it from the engine bay to elimate the ignition switch and see what happens....