Sign in to follow this  
strimmer

16V rear engine mount enhancement??

I'm putting back in a KR block 16V engine to my Corrado and have purchased a new solid front engine mount, a new Febi gearbox mount and am considering what to do with the rear.

After breaking the drivers side driveshaft (twice) on track days at Knockhill I've heard that side to side (lateral I think) movement of the engine while riding the car over the kerbs on track could be the cause of breaking driveshafts. If true I'm looking to improve the rear engine mount and am thinking of

1. A non-hydraulic mount (rubber sits vertically) and packing it with conveyor belt rubber (??) or squirting into it "tiger weld" or equivalent polyeurathane.

2. Can I squirt into my current hydraulic mount some polyeurathane to stiffen it?

3. Don't have any funds to spare on a professional/competition mount so open mind on other options.

MKII Golf TDI rear mount... ;)

Much stiffer, and cheap as chips... then fill that full of stuff if you want it even stiffer... :)

my experience with rubber-made engine mounts and sometimes (well, what KR engine is capable of) of extreme driving is, in last year:

-replaced front engine mount 4 times

-rear engine mount x 3

-gearbox x 2