Sign in to follow this  
deanpompey

16v sump guards/protection

anyone have any info on these?

Took the 17s off and put my rado on Th Monos (8x15) and now instead of just smashing the splitter, im twatting the sump... :roll:

could i just buy another sump and weld on a plate? im assuming thats basically all thats involved?

anyone have any other ideas?

cheers

Your sump ought to be fine.. iirc the valvers have steel sumps. Mine gets bashed about 2-3 per hour of driving on average and ive got no leaks etc...

Or just lift the car up a bit :roll: sorry but just dont get this driving around whacking the sump, you are probably risking shearing some of the sump bolts heads off if you hit it hard enough which will then be a right pain to remove the left over studs stuck in the block :shrug:

my problem is it happens more on the motorways around here (which i have to use everyday) and is slightly unsettling when sump makes contact with floor at 70mph+....

if its steel already then ill just strip it down and weld on a 12guage plate. but its kinda swings an roundabouts, cos if i weld on a thick plate it will be closer to the damn floor so will hit more often! :confused4:

I dont even class my car as particularly low, i have about an inch between splitter and floor, and as im runnin 15s theres a bit of arch gap which i would dearly love to get rid of, but if i do then every damn thing will be hitting the floor ....

guess its one or the other, stance OR practicality....

Yeah i guess its me getting old too though as i like practicality best :lol: I just hear the woes of all my work colleagues with lowered cars and i just struggle to understand when it causes so much grief. one of them does a 5 mile detour to avoid speed bumps on the way to work :cuckoo: add that up the extra mileage at the year end :roll:

haha now thats dedication!

i think ill just have to learn where the potholes/speedbumps are and avoid like the plague!

will be better next year when i get some monos in 16x8s and 9s, ill have an extra inch of clearance to play with then! woohoo!