Sign in to follow this  
mark16v

3m carbon vinyl wrap

seems like the latest thing to do is use this 3m carbon vinyl wrap stuff, just wondering what you guys make of it, or if u have used it before, if so, pictures? looks really easy to use and was considering doing my dash inserts with it, but looks like a bit of a challenging job!

are you referring to the Di-noc stuff?

I currently have a spare spoiler at a signage place being wrapped, will post pics when its done. The guy doing it has already done a mk2 golf bonnet - really does look good:

PICT0155.jpg

PICT0148.jpg

PICT0147.jpg

Personally I think the whole carbon fibre thing has been done to death and fake stuff is worse. Ive got a CF bonnet and Im glad its painted, just dont understand why you would want a fake CF bonnet. I actually think it looks tacky, bit like anything gold. Thats just my opinion though.

sure - a whole bonnet of the stuff is too much - especially on a light coloured car (the guy above with his white mk2 is now selling the wrapped bonnet). didn't think just doing my spoiler was too much though. especially as I have a red car and the spoiler is the worst place for oxidisation and water marks making it look pink!

Definately a hot topic this one. A mate of mine (ricer :2gunfire: ) loves CF but I don't really like it much at all. The only time I like it is CF bonnets on black cars, but only if they are done in a rally/touring car style.

I work with Carbon Fibre every day, and it all depends on the mounds. Having seen the carbon bonnets on a few Corrado`s, I think that they do look OK, but they use resin infusion mounds. Which is the cheapest way for them to do this. If you were to pay for a proper mound(machined alloy mound) you would have to make a hell of a lot to recop your costs back, then they would have to be UV lacquired to get a nice finish.

i've heard it can be more expensive than the real carbon fibre

its not cheap as it is very good quality but its NOWHERE near as expensive as the real thing!

I currently have a spare spoiler at a signage place being wrapped, will post pics when its done. The guy doing it has already done a mk2 golf bonnet - really does look good:

]

thats not the guy in essex is it? i think there is a fine line between too much carbon fibre and the right amount, im making it my personal mission to make it so there is next to no plastic on show in the whole car, using tastefull (imo) materials like flocking and alcantara and thought di-noc might be a good idea for the dash insert (i mean the plastic around the stereo, centre pocket, top heater vents, dial cluster ect)

]

thats not the guy in essex is it? i think there is a fine line between too much carbon fibre and the right amount, im making it my personal mission to make it so there is next to no plastic on show in the whole car, using tastefull (imo) materials like flocking and alcantara and thought di-noc might be a good idea for the dash insert (i mean the plastic around the stereo, centre pocket, top heater vents, dial cluster ect)

no the company doing it is signtech graphics in Poole - southcoast.

The 3m film is called 'Di-Noc' we use it everyday at work, not only on vehicles but also exhibition stands, there is an identical product made by APA that is half the cost.

Tbh its not something that seems to have caught on in the VW scene, especally the retro cars, though i guess the two looks dont really suit, plus there is nowhere to really put it. (panels are hit and miss, unless its the roof)

But it is very popular with the jap, bmw and superbike chaps. (interior and exterior)

At the end of the day its achieving a look that there after at a fraction of the cost and is also reversable, its not for everyone though neither is doggin but people still do it!! :D

its not for everyone though neither is doggin but people still do it!! :D
hahaha I just spat my tea out! This should be the universal phrase for personal choice!! :lol: