Sign in to follow this  
baz25

Rear Wheel Bearings

Hi all

I'm new to the site and have just bought my first corrado. G Reg 1.8 16v. It was SORN when I went to have a look so I couldn't test drive. Now the wheel bearings are making a right racket. Any advice or how 2 would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Baz

Hi Mate and welcome to the forum :wave:

There should be plenty of topics about the rear brakes if you do a search (top right hand corner) all i'll add though is that always use genuine vw bits here as the quality of the ones from gsf and the like are pretty poor and vw ones aren't much more expensive anyway and last years longer as opposed to a few months which has been known to be the case.

A caliper windback tool is also a good purchase for this job too around £30 from halfords. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165469

Oh yeah, before you start the job buy some irwin bolt grippers to remove the caliper carrier bolts as these are almost impossible to remove without these.

trust me i tried some recently after 15 years of corrado ownership and it is the best £20 i have spent on tools, and lastly you'll need new bolts :lol: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... -tool-sets

I couldn't agree more - I used GSF bearings last April/May and had one howling on me 2 months ago!! So changed for genuine items instead. Agree with the Irwin bolt removers too :notworthy:

Only thing I wouldn't agree with is the price of GSF bearings being 'not that much different' to genuine prices. GSF are around £6-7 for one side, VW charge in excess of £45 per side!! Try and get a TPS account or a mate who has and u'll get them for the £17 mark tho! :D

I couldn't agree more - I used GSF bearings last April/May and had one howling on me 2 months ago!! So changed for genuine items instead. Agree with the Irwin bolt removers too :notworthy:

Only thing I wouldn't agree with is the price of GSF bearings being 'not that much different' to genuine prices. GSF are around £6-7 for one side, VW charge in excess of £45 per side!! Try and get a TPS account or a mate who has and u'll get them for the £17 mark tho! :D

Na that cant be right! the last time we bought some which was only last year they were around £20 each side :? but they could have gone up considerably since. Going to the dealers today so i'll ask if i remember.

Na that cant be right! the last time we bought some which was only last year they were around £20 each side :? but they could have gone up considerably since. Going to the dealers today so i'll ask if i remember.

Just goin through Etka and what I got em for through TPS mate :salute:

Hi Mate and welcome to the forum :wave:

There should be plenty of topics about the rear brakes if you do a search (top right hand corner) all i'll add though is that always use genuine vw bits here as the quality of the ones from gsf and the like are pretty poor and vw ones aren't much more expensive anyway and last years longer as opposed to a few months which has been known to be the case.

A caliper windback tool is also a good purchase for this job too around £30 from halfords. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165469

Oh yeah, before you start the job buy some irwin bolt grippers to remove the caliper carrier bolts as these are almost impossible to remove without these.

trust me i tried some recently after 15 years of corrado ownership and it is the best £20 i have spent on tools, and lastly you'll need new bolts :lol: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... -tool-sets

Unbelievable!

I am in the middle of doing this job and what KIP has described is exactly the process i am going through! The irwins are amazing, just amazing, i struggled with a carrier bolt almost a whole day, then picked up these beauties and the bolt just undid itself with fear.

I have picked up wheel bearings from another source though, a website called http://www.veedubmachine.co.uk do the whole refurb kit for £40, not sure on the bearing quality but I know they're made in belgium :confused4:

They are less than £20 from VW rrp - used to be £11 a few years ago though!

I wouldn't use anything else but genuine - pattern bearings from china are dangerous!

sorry to go offtopic but i had no problem with my rear caliper bolts, are the old ones a 19 nut or are they the hex socket that I had? They both came off like a dream... so did the fronts... and i bought irwins, still never used them!

The ones that cause the problem are the cap head bolts that hold the caliper carrier to the axle. I always fill the hex head with coppa grease to stop them corroding. They are made of cheese so shouldn't rust anyway.

SECOND!

Just been to get rear wheel bearings for the VR they are part number 191 598 625 and cost was £24.64 each

Lol fair enough, on my copy of Etka they come out at £45 :confused4:

Mine says the same mate but the quantity is down as 2 so that might be why its up on etka as £45