Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Starter Motor Recommendation - 2.0 16v

Are there any thoughts on brand/supplier of starter motors for a 2.0 16v? Should I go to VW. GSF, get a bosch or a lucas or something else?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, plus expected pricing.

Also, is it a fairly easy job to replace the starter motor? Or am I best leaving this to a garage to do?

Are there any thoughts on brand/supplier of starter motors for a 2.0 16v? Should I go to VW. GSF, get a bosch or a lucas or something else?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, plus expected pricing.

Also, is it a fairly easy job to replace the starter motor? Or am I best leaving this to a garage to do?

Goto your local motor factors for a recon one, price wise im not sure though, very easy to do, the starter is held in by two bolts, and some electrical connectors.

Sean

Thanks for the advice.

Just rang the dealers and they want £182.04 (inc vat) for a new starter, whereas GSF want £75.20 (inc vat) plus surcharge of £17.50 as it's an exchange. The GSF one is apparently a Franzen. I also tried my local motor factors and they are £76.38 (inc vat) plus surcharge/exchange.

I was hoping that the VW one was only going to be a bit more, but can't really justify double the cost.

depends if you keep the car for long, VW one may well last another 15-20 years, GSF one may give trouble in a couple, it really is a case of you pays your money.

10 quid for a second hand passat one sorted me out :)