Sign in to follow this  
poll250

Rear carrier/pads

Quick question:

Should there be a little piece of metal between the rear carrier and pad?

I should of taken a photo but when I took mine off yesterday there was a little piece of metal between them, on both sides. it seemed to make the pads very difficult to move, and I haven't seen it mentioned on any rebuild threads.

Just wondered if I should dump it?

Thanks

Anyone!? :shrug:

They seem to inhibit the movement of the pads a bit, but they must be there for a reason

Ive just bought new genuine pads and the clips you are on about are included with the pads so i would have thought they must be needed and they were also on the mk4 carriers which i bought aswell

Unless ur talkin' about anti-squeal shims? They're fabricated to fit into the 'grooves' on the caliper...?

yeah that's what I'm on about! The pads just seem very rigid and hard to move with them fitted, can they be removed??

Unless ur talkin' about anti-squeal shims? They're fabricated to fit into the 'grooves' on the caliper...?

yeah that's what I'm on about! The pads just seem very rigid and hard to move with them fitted, can they be removed??

If they move thats when they squeak. Though if they really are that tight, just try filing them down a bit.

think you mean these??

This is off mk4 golf parts but as said above i bought new rear pads this week and the little silver clips are in with the pads

Yeh u don't HAVE to have em mate. But as titled, they're there to prevent any 'squealing' when u slam ur foot down on that middle pedal! :D