Sign in to follow this  
Fanjita

Best way to undo the front brake pipe to hose connection

Hi all,

Just trying to swap hoses over to fit the new front 288mms, as you probably know an open ended spanner won't cut it, I've just had a go and stopped through fear of rounding it completely.

So what's the best way to get the two apart? I don't need the old hoses so I could cut them up?

As a last resort I would have to get the brake pipes replaced but I really don't want to do that.

Hopefully you guys know the best approach :salute:

(ps I'm very post happy on the forums at the moment!)

I'm hoping that having spent a day regularly soaking in WD40 a week before attempting the job will give 100% success!

That's probably no use to you if you need to do the job now... We have also purchased a small blow torch :shock:

Good luck and I'll be watching to see how you get on.

tried everything on mine, took it to a local garage for help too, but in the end they had to be cut off and the brake pipes remade.

Well I started applying liberal doses of plusgas from yesterday in the hopes that it will help, but so far that 11mm spanner isn't shifting, I know they're not great for it.

Might try and get hold of one of these slotted (almost ring type) spanners specially for the job, would definitely reduce the chances of rounding it.

I read that someone chopped the rubber hose (like mine it wasn't needed) and just used a socket on the 14mm hose end while holding the brake pipe joint?

Might be worth a punt

tried everything on mine, took it to a local garage for help too, but in the end they had to be cut off and the brake pipes remade.

It's just one of those things, I know it may be inevitable, but my car's been on ramps for at least a week and a half now, I just want it finished!

If i can just get this bugger undone then I will get it done a lot quicker, especially as I can only drive the corrado at the moment. Apart from begging a lift off someone to get the special tool or brake pipes, im a bit stuck :(

I'm with Butterfly on this, get some heat on it :)

but don't overdo it, if you try hard enough I'm sure you can ignite brake fluid.

I'm with Butterfly on this, get some heat on it :)

but don't overdo it, if you try hard enough I'm sure you can ignite brake fluid.

Yeah I hear this stuff is pretty flammable, there are stories of the brake hose going pop under the pressure (from the heat) too though.

I might undo the bleed nipple and put a hose over it just to let any fluid out as it expands from the heat, maybe then i can get some decent heat on it? :shrug:

We (i.e. Kip) are doing my rears... so have a fuel tank to watch out for :gag: :nuts: :pale:

Buy a proper 11mm brake pipe spanner to do the job properly, an open ended spanner is just not man enough for the job..

Aye, a proper brake pipe spanner (11mm), a decent amount of soaking in WD40 and a small amount of heat if appropriate is the right way to do it.

An 11mm open-ender isn't really the right tool, but I guess if you're willing to sacrifice the brake pipe you could try some mole-grips on it. Really not recommended though as it's pretty bodgey, but it'd help you get the car back on the road if you're struggling for transport.

Aye, a proper brake pipe spanner (11mm), a decent amount of soaking in WD40 and a small amount of heat if appropriate is the right way to do it.

An 11mm open-ender isn't really the right tool, but I guess if you're willing to sacrifice the brake pipe you could try some mole-grips on it. Really not recommended though as it's pretty bodgey, but it'd help you get the car back on the road if you're struggling for transport.

I've had a little go with the mole grips but I think you're right, I'll just wait for a while until I can go get these proper pipe spanners. I haven't wrecked the head (I think!) just yet with the grips...

you need a proper brake pipe spanner on the top, then you can cut the pipe if you cant get it undone and use that as a lever while you hold the spanner still

Yup, Halfords do an 11/13mm brake spanner.

I would cut the hose and then hold the hardline still as you turn the 14mm on the hose. The nuts on the hardlines always corrode onto the pipe, so even if you manage to turn them you just end up wrecking the pipe.

When reattaching, just do the reverse, hold the hardline still while you spin the hose on, and then attach the hose to the caliper.