Sign in to follow this  
twofourten

ISV & ECU issue

These have been covered before I know, but your thoughts & images would be helpful to explain things please...

My ISV was playing up a while back, but then sorted itself out for a bit. Now it's broken again & worse than before.

The idle is fluctuating at low revs as you would expect with this issue making it hard not to stall, I have taken bits apart, checked the connections and so on but to no avail.

What it now happening is that when I turn the engine off all my MFA stuff wipes?

Again I checked the connections and disconnected the battery, but can't figure it out - I'm going to get another ISV & a spare ECU but wanted to ask the following - Can you get reliable upgrade parts for either and/or is a bypass the best option for reliability?

Might be a stupid question, but have you:

1). Cleaned out the ISV recently

2). Checked all your vac hoses & connections

3). Checked all your inlet pipework for splits/leaks/loose bolts/failed gaskets?

4.) Checked that the idle switch on your tb is both working AND adjusted correctly? If your throttle cable is badly adjusted/old/sticky, it could be preventing the throttle arm from actuating the idle switch. Also, the throttle itself could be gummed up & sticking.

These won't explain the MFA behaviour, but can explain the hunting at idle & stalling behaviour.

The MFA thing sounds like you're loosing your permanent live feed to clocks/ecu on ignition-off. Have you checked this?

I doubt both your problems are due to the isv alone - in my experience stuff like this is usually thanks to multiple issues rearing their ugly head all at the same time. Bit like a red herring I guess. Old VWs seem to have a habit of going out of their way to test you every now & then (i.e. p*ss you off!)

Oh yeah, just to confirm, what engine is it? I assume PG G60..

Might be a stupid question, but have you:

1). Cleaned out the ISV recently

2). Checked all your vac hoses & connections

3). Checked all your inlet pipework for splits/leaks/loose bolts/failed gaskets?

4.) Checked that the idle switch on your tb is both working AND adjusted correctly? If your throttle cable is badly adjusted/old/sticky, it could be preventing the throttle arm from actuating the idle switch. Also, the throttle itself could be gummed up & sticking.

These won't explain the MFA behaviour, but can explain the hunting at idle & stalling behaviour.

The MFA thing sounds like you're loosing your permanent live feed to clocks/ecu on ignition-off. Have you checked this?

I doubt both your problems are due to the isv alone - in my experience stuff like this is usually thanks to multiple issues rearing their ugly head all at the same time. Bit like a red herring I guess. Old VWs seem to have a habit of going out of their way to test you every now & then (i.e. p*ss you off!)

Oh yeah, just to confirm, what engine is it? I assume PG G60..

WOW, thanks for the help Benjo, it's a G60... I have checked everything i know & will clean the ISV properly with carb cleaner this weekend. I have a friend (Corrado lover & VR6 owner) at a garage nearby so if that doesn't sort it I'll get him to have a look...

Did you get this sorted in the end mate? I just found the cause of my G60 dodgy idle issue to be a split in the small pipe that runs from the ISV to the manifold worth check as its a 5min fix 8)