Sign in to follow this  
C5 OEM

abs

Have had a search but can anyone explain/help me out..

Abs sensors; how many are there..? where are they...? how does the abs system work..?

The abs light comes on the ignition and then off when i drive then dependant on speed/driving time it comes back on..?

To be fair i`ve given under the arches a dam good clean so may have disturbed something.. the previous owner said the light occasionally came on if the car was left standing which mine has for the last few weeks..

advice / help please..

andy

Pedal sensor now obsolete but stealth has some VW originals or DG do a refurb but only just started but give 12 months warranty.

Then sensors on back of hubs which I think you can still get from VW.

Get car attached to vagcom should tell you where the problem is!

what codes are for what fault..

think its the pedal sensor as the abs has kicked in a couple of times..

Can't help you on fault codes sorry

Pedal sensor should cost you £90 I know this as I bought them in from abroad see..

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=91590

I still have Vince' (stealth) parts as I have not delivered them yet. I am sure he will let you have one.

Otherwise I think DG are refurbing for around £50.

But you should get it on a vagcom before you do anything.

Can't help you on fault codes sorry

Pedal sensor should cost you £90 I know this as I bought them in from abroad see..

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=91590

I still have Vince' (stealth) parts as I have not delivered them yet. I am sure he will let you have one.

Otherwise I think DG are refurbing for around £50.

But you should get it on a vagcom before you do anything.

thanks for the info i`ll check it out.

...yeah plug it into VAGCOM and it will narrow down whats at fault...My ABS sensor light was constantly on and VAGCOM gave the following code below. When I checked the Left Speed sensor, sure enough it had a slight crack on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

00283 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Left (G47)

35-00

16-00 - Signal Outside specifuication

04-00 Mechanical Malfunction.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The abs light comes on the ignition and then off when i drive then dependant on speed/driving time it comes back on..?

To be fair i`ve given under the arches a dam good clean so may have disturbed something.

ABS Connection.jpg[/attachment:281xvs9n]

If its only since you cleaned the wheel arches, then it's most likely one of the front two ABS Sensors that is triggering a fault. The cause is usually ingress of some moisture.

Behind each front wheel disc brake, there is a plug break to the sensor (see photo - green arrow). Pull off and apply WD40 both the plug and the sensor socket. Then reconnect.

Classic problem, particularly the left (kerb) side one.

To be fair i`ve given under the arches a dam good clean so may have disturbed something.

ABS Connection.jpg[/attachment:1osu03dp]

If its only since you cleaned the wheel arches, then it's most likely one of the front two ABS Sensors that is triggering a fault. The cause is usually ingress of some moisture.

Behind each front wheel disc brake, there is a plug break to the sensor (see photo - green arrow). Pull off and apply WD40 both the plug and the sensor socket. Then reconnect.

Classic problem, particularly the left (kerb) side one.

thanks i`ll look at that.

I've just replaced both front ABS sensors after Vagcom said I have a fault on the drivers side front. Trouble is, the light still comes on after I drive off. I'm wondering whether you need to re-do Vagcom and reset the fault code to tell it they have been changed? Really not sure what I'm talking about, so help is greatfully recieved :clap:

I'm getting Vagcom plugged in sometime this week hopefully and find out more then, be so nice for it to be solved.

I've just replaced both front ABS sensors after Vagcom said I have a fault on the drivers side front. Trouble is, the light still comes on after I drive off. I'm wondering whether you need to re-do Vagcom and reset the fault code to tell it they have been changed? Really not sure what I'm talking about, so help is greatfully recieved :clap:

I'm getting Vagcom plugged in sometime this week hopefully and find out more then, be so nice for it to be solved.

once they`ve been fitted they do need to be cleared. Mine is in today so will update if it cures the problem..fingers crossed but knowing my luck.............NOT.¬¬

Yup, stored faults don't self clear with the exception of 00513 - Engine Speed which is cleared on engine start if the there is no fault.

(00513 is surpressed with ignition on/engine not turning on later VAG cars.)

Sounds like a distorted cage if it's coming on at a particular speed?

Sometimes you get a mis-match with replacement ABS sensors but you've replaced both - assume they were the same make?

You could compare resistance readings using the plug at the top of the suspension turret but you really just need to clear the codes on VAGCOM, drive it until the light comes on and re-read them.

Rear passenger sensor replaced but took an hour just to get the bugger out..!!! anyhow its all working now and the trackings been done and camber set....!!