Sign in to follow this  
merlin2002

Top mount play?

Hi guys

Quick question, I jacked my corrado up today and notice I had up and down movement in the top mounts at the front?

I assume this means my top mounts are shot can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Rob

yep, new top mount's needed, or just tight the bolts up but you need new one anyway

I would check out other threads first do you know how old the top mounts are?

When i jack my car up the top mounts move all over the place and my top mounts are about a year old, the gauge is where they sit when the cars on the deck.

I did have a nose at that thread

But its like lots of movement, i can lift the hub up and the top plate will move up and down.

im wondering if the guy before me fitted the coilovers wrong and forgot to install the nut on the top of the shock that holds the top hat on the springs.

Im gona grab a couple of top mounts at some point and strip it down to have a looksy!

Cheers

Rob

as above get them off to inspect, difficult to tell otherwise

i changed the originals off mine yesterday - 93k and 17yrs - with new ones, and comparing side by side the only difference was about 10mm in depth and the centre hole was off centre, other than that they looked great, and you wouldn't spot when in position.

does sound like your top nuts loose tho.

No with the car jacked up they do move all over the shop like i said look at the photo's in that thread to see how the top plate looks when the car is on the deck.......but they are cheap so if in doubt get some newens..............