MaverickG60

Corrado 20vT Project - update coming soon...

by the way, i take it you'll just be selling the gearbox and running an o2a...

or will that gearbox that came with the engine (whatever code it is), sit on the original mounts? be nice if that's the case - 6 speed goodness :D

When i sold the engine, everything went, gearbox, ECU, loom etc. In answer to your question Pete, i'm not sure whether the original mounts will be compatible with the new gearbox, my guess is probably not, but I'm some what inexperienced when coming to something this major, so we'll see how it goes?

that's cool, it's much better to retain as much of the new loom as possible anyway, so you've forced your own hand on that one!

as for the box, i would have thought (can't confirm though) that the original corrado box would have gone straight onto your lump, meaning you could retain the oem driveshafts/mounts etc etc. as it is now, i don't think the 6-speed box will drop straight onto the mounts; you'll probably have to chop them about to make it fit. also you'll possibly need to get some custom driveshafts made up due to different lengths/fittings (but you won't know without trying).

best of luck with it all anyway - looking forward to seeing how it all comes together :D

by the way, i take it you'll just be selling the gearbox and running an o2a...

or will that gearbox that came with the engine (whatever code it is), sit on the original mounts? be nice if that's the case - 6 speed goodness :D

When i sold the engine, everything went, gearbox, ECU, loom etc. In answer to your question Pete, i'm not sure whether the original mounts will be compatible with the new gearbox, my guess is probably not, but I'm some what inexperienced when coming to something this major, so we'll see how it goes?

that's cool, it's much better to retain as much of the new loom as possible anyway, so you've forced your own hand on that one!

as for the box, i would have thought (can't confirm though) that the original corrado box would have gone straight onto your lump, meaning you could retain the oem driveshafts/mounts etc etc. as it is now, i don't think the 6-speed box will drop straight onto the mounts; you'll probably have to chop them about to make it fit. also you'll possibly need to get some custom driveshafts made up due to different lengths/fittings (but you won't know without trying).

best of luck with it all anyway - looking forward to seeing how it all comes together :D[/quote:2i6ppf70]

i think that mk5 gti box will bolt straight in in place of the g60 box as its like an 02A box rather than a mk4 6 speed box. thats why im offering to swap with him! :lol:

Here are some pictures from the 'mocking up' of the engine. First we stripped the engine down;

ProjectCorradopics001.jpg

ProjectCorradopics007.jpg

ProjectCorradopics008.jpg

ProjectCorradopics011.jpg

ProjectCorradopics012.jpg

ProjectCorradopics013.jpg

Went in fairly easily, no massive dramas. Have some mounts in mind, so when I get my hands on them the engine will be fitted.

if you're making a custom downpipe from scratch, if it was me i would try and retain the existing vw flexi joint (provided it fits with the diameter tubing you're going to run and won't strangle things too much obviously. i've got a feeling it'll be a bit small, but suck it and see) - only reason i say that is the oem items are decent quality and VERY flexible, so should be able to take a fair battering for a few years to come yet, unlike some of the cheapy aftermarket items you see.

I'd be concerned about keeping the OEM exhaust if you're changing the turbo as your EGTs may increase past the design capabilities of the flexi joint.

It's been a while since I last updated, so hear goes. Progress has been some what slow in getting the engine in, I have yet to buy the mounts. On a more positive note a have purchased a KO4 turbo and some S3 injectors, get the more expensive stuff out the way first, engine wise that is. I hope to hit the project hard now hopefully the bitter weather is behind us. Plan is to position the Mk5 mounts on the chassis legs ensuring the turbo doesn't foul on the steering rack and prep the car for a respray.

Pictures to follow.

Interesting, buying goodies before mounting hardware!

any chance of getting some higher res or clickable pics? those stamps up above aren't very useful.

Interesting, buying goodies before mounting hardware!

any chance of getting some higher res or clickable pics? those stamps up above aren't very useful.

Well I would, however any bigger and it won't load? I use photobucket.

Whilst I was in a fortunate position I thought it ideal to buy some of the more expensive parts, made sense?

if you make sure they are 800x600 or less they should display fine. I normally use imageshack and it lets you resize when you upload if needs be.

sounds reasonable. Just hope you get the engine in and fitted soon.

Put them as thumbnails, they should then be clickable.

Progress is slow because pete didn't buy me a birthday or Christmas present! I mean come on!! Plus he hasn't paid the heating bill where he keeps the car, so the car is currently entombed in a block of ice!

Put them as thumbnails, they should then be clickable.

Progress is slow because pete didn't buy me a birthday or Christmas present! I mean come on!! Plus he hasn't paid the heating bill where he keeps the car, so the car is currently entombed in a block of ice!

Slow, yes. All my gratitude is shown through love & hugs! The chuffin' steering wheel is growing mould!? It's game on this year, I have a plan and I'll do my best to stick to it.

Hi chaps,

I'll start by apologising for not keeping on top of this thread but since my last update a lot has happened....

The prospect of a TFSI in a Corrado does sound somewhat intriguing but as this was my first go at a engine conversion it soon hit home that I have been a little over optimistic it seems. I'm very much someone who would rather have a go and build it myself, and with the help of friends... Rob_b legend!, than hand over my car to a tuning company and pay them a substantial amount. In the early stages of the TFSI conversion it was becoming apparent that there was going to be a lot of custom/bespoke stuff, which I did anticipate, but not to the shear amount and due to skills and tools I often felt I was having to be nudged down the road of enlisting companies to carry out the work. Custom stuff aside the cost of the build was mounting fast, parts were expensive and at the time not always readily available i.e. qpeng harness. With all this in mind I decided to attempt something a little easier and admittedly has been done to death, I went for a 20vT. As I say purely due to ease and the endless reams of info about for this engine and parts available. I have documented the build up to present so I'll add pictures later on this evening.

Pictures from when the 20vT started to now.

So from the top, the day I took delivery of the 20vT engine. It's from a '01 Leon Cupra 180bhp AUQ engine code with 64k, came with no turbo.

Next we have the gearbox from a Mk3 16v, it's an 02A box, bargain 40 quid.

I then sourced a Mk3 16v flywheel (35 quid) and bought from GSF a cam belt kit, water pump and VR6 clutch.

I then started to strip the engine down for powder coating. I also replaced the plugs and rocker cover gasket.

Following a trip to TPS and picking up newly powder coated rocker cover, fuel rail, inlet manifold etc.

All the new powder coated stuff bolt up, looks better than I thought.

The new VR clutch & plate and Mk3 16v flywheel bolted up.

I then replaced the gearbox and rear engine mount for new OE spec ones. I then sourced a solid front mount which was powder coated to match the theme going on.

The mighty K03s then got bolted up, got it from a 56k Golf for 180 quid. Still in 2 minds as for turbo choice, may go K04, not sure yet?

I then sourced via eBay a cable throttle body, I spend some time cleaning it up and then I decided to paint it matt black with good olde Halfords rattle can stuff. Using a dremel I then polished the internals.

Then a few pictures of the gearbox mounted to the engine and all cleaned up, that took a lot of brake & clutch cleaner.

Some powder coated driveshafts with brand new inner & outer CV joints.

I then had the bay painted Marrakesh brown, it's a BMW X1 colour and the car machine polished and the sticky residue left from the door moldings removed.

...and this is where I'm at now, the engine in the bay. Just need to get the qpeng harness and downpipe then I can press on forward.

Edited by MaverickG60