Sign in to follow this  
nigwell

MEGA Exhaust Systems

As roddy will testify, the exhaust on my g60 is way to loud.

I phoned up the place that fitted it (before I bought car) and they said the same as pau1 had. That it only had 2 boxes in it, so adding a 3rd would make a big difference.

They said it would be 50 quid to do and make no diferrence to power etc...

I am sold

(Its a powerflow custom for those interested)

I still think you should go for a Milltek or something similar. You could easily get one fitted even to the decat which you've got already. And it would be quieter. Just a thought anyway...

You'll have to order one mail order. And it would only cost you £30 to fit it. Should only take an hour for any garage to do it.

Can anyone advise me as to what back box to get? the one i've got is a bit on the big side! It was on the car when I bough it and sounds amazing but looking for something a bit more subtle. See pic below

i know the picture is not the best but the exhaust hangs down too far because of the actual backbox. looking to get something that suits the car more but still looks and sounds fantastic. the exhaust will be up for sale if I can find a suitable replacement.

Well it seems that a lot of you rate and like SuperSprint exhaust systems, and a lot of you would it like to get hold of one. I did post a query the other day about them. But no one has replied back. (why?) :?

READ BELLOW

Was thinking about changing the exhaust and would like to know if anyone has fitted a Super Sprint exhaust system, (as I can get good prices on SuperSprint items) and what kind of results you have had. Would also like to know if it made and improvement and weather it fitted well.

I will most probably be replacing my exhaust as soon as the current standard V.A.G item begins to get knackered. Until then I would like to extend an offer to all those that are interested in getting a SuperSprint system. I know that I can get them a fair bit cheaper than retail and I would like to pass this saving on. :wink:

Anyone interested just drop me a line.

Thankx

Dav.

how much have you been quoted?

and what kind of tail pipe are you after?

Okay Nigel, it appears people have the wrong idea about this. The exhaust I think you are talking about is probably the SUPERSPRINT MEGA system, which was a 4" round system with a 3" internal pipe and lots of sound-proofing. I used to have one on the G60. Excellent build quality and hang together really well. BUT they do need extra strong hangers as they weigh quite a bit. Bloody good sound and I think they look excellent. So phooey to you all

where do you get those extra strong hangers ??? my REMUS allso is quite heavy, and the sound is properly.. not to loud, and roarrss when i put the revs down !

and the thing why i bought it : it fits exactly in the bumper !

You need to use power flex hangers for the rear box and the cat back pipe mounts

you need to buy one of the ones designed for the Corrado and two that are like the OEM ones as the ones designed for the C arnt good enough for the mid section as i found out to my cost!!

why does everyone want to decat their exhaust system. Now if i think about this decating a G60 means lossing power as all you will do is let more air out of the engine (useful air) as is less back pressure. Now on a turbo car it would be correct to to have a cat free system because the air is just used to spin the turbine for 1 cycle and after that it has to be dumped out of it and by having less back pressure it helps to do so quicker but i dont think on a supercharger this helps helps.

why does everyone want to decat their exhaust system. Now if i think about this decating a G60 means lossing power as all you will do is let more air out of the engine (useful air) as is less back pressure. Now on a turbo car it would be correct to to have a cat free system because the air is just used to spin the turbine for 1 cycle and after that it has to be dumped out of it and by having less back pressure it helps to do so quicker but i dont think on a supercharger this helps helps.

Car makers had to increase the CC of some engines when the cat was added to cope with the loose of power. and most moved to single point fuel injection at the same time. this is cause the cat is a power zapping piece of rubbish, that actually does no good at all, mainly cos the a when a cat is made, more harmfull chemicals are used in making it that are ever released by a cars exhaust.

on the G60 back pressure is the final problem you have when tuning it, cos even performance exhaust are not good enough for 230+BHP engines (so i've read) On a forced induction engine

thats why you have race cats which are better than normal cats and better than no cat at all,iv seen many gys in germany use them, ask blade in this forum as he deals them i think and he got one on his car,but with no cat you arent going anywhere with a g60 engine.

thats why you have race cats which are better than normal cats and better than no cat at all,iv seen many gys in germany use them, ask blade in this forum as he deals them i think and he got one on his car,but with no cat you arent going anywhere with a g60 engine.

High Flow Cats are for cars that must have at cat to meet emissions.

Early G60's were not fitted with them and only the later one were to meet emissions.

i think you are mistaken here

Back pressure is the resistance of the exhaust, the more back pressure you have the harder the gas are to get out.

Now if you have a Cated exhaust the back pressure is higher than that of once without a car. Remove the Cat - lower the back pressure, and then the gases get out of the zorst quicker.

Now highly tunes G60's come into a problem when the engine tuning surpasses the performance of the exhaust be it an OEM one or off the shelf performance exhaust , thus needing a custom exhaust.

Now this is not to say that less no pressure = better engine performance. Because to a point the engine does need the exhaust, Its not there purly to get the sound down. This is becasue if you vent the hot exhaust gases striaght to air you are venting it to a lower pressure, thus effectivly sucking the zorst gas out, and the new air/fuel with it in, So if you remove the zorst the air gets throught to quick and your left with the incorrect air/fuel mix to power the engine = less power and if you have ever had an exhaust break you'll know what i mean!!

Now Normally asperated engines use the back pressure to control the gas flow,Change the zorst and your gonna need to change the settings

But the G60 engine as fare as i know anyway, closes the zorst valves before/as the inlet valve opens fully to stop the charge blowing through.

This is why the cam profile on the G60 is so critical.

Maybe you are getting confussed with the fact that if you change the standard exhaust to a performance exhaust without doing anything to the engine, you can see a bhp drop. This is becuase you have done nothing to chage the engine settings for the zorstl.

Now if you have ever ran a 2stroke engine you'll know the basics behind this. on a two stroke the zorst length and width is critical, and can over or under rev the engine if set wrong.

Here end this afternoon lesson