Sign in to follow this  
Akinesis

Urgent suspension help!

I'm taking the coilovers off to give them a good recon, so I'm fitting the old standard suspension. I've got the front one off but the wishbone doesn't seem to drop far enough down for me to get the longer standard kit back in. I've disconnected the anti-roll bar but it hardly made a difference. Is their something else I can do, or something that I'm missing? Surely I don't have to take the wishbone off???

Thanks all

Have you tried slackening off the wishbone bolts at the subframe end just to allow the wishbone to swing down a little more? Never had this problem myself though. Maybe the wishbone mounting bolts were tightened at the old lower ride height and movement in the bushes was to a lesser degree. As i said fust slacken them off and see if that gives you a bit more movement

I had go a trying to loosen them and I couldn't get the bolt to budge :cry:

I need the car tonight and as I've spent two hours on one corner I'm going to have to put the coilover back in a tackle it again next weekend. I'll have another go at that bolt then if that's what you recommend.

Thanks for the advice :salute:

What you dont want to do is put too much force on the bushes by fitting taller suspension to wishbones that have been tightened once preloaded at a lower ride height. If you dont slacken off the bolts and re tighten after the stock suspension is on you may risk eating through the wishbone bushes very quickly.

I may be being stupid but i've seen no mention of a spring compressor. Maybe you should use some in order to shorten the standard shocks before you attempt to fit them

The spring compressors are only needed to assemble the strut and secure the top hat to the strut. Once the spring is compressed far enough to put the strut back together they arent needed..

Yeah, no need for a spring compressor. I will soak the wishbone bolts in WD40 this week and will hopefully enjoy better luck next weekend. I've put the coilover back in for now. I've removed the front splitter because it was scraping over every speed bump and when I drove on/off the drive. Looks a little daft because you can see the metal bracket, but saves damaging the splitter further.