Sign in to follow this  
rubberdubber

Headlight switch

Hi all

Newbie here! I have a 1990 1.8 16v, will get some pics posted up soon. Have a few issues though and am after abit of advice!

firstly, my headlight switch has malfuctioned sending 12v's down the earth wire causing it to melt, ive replaced the wire and put an inline fuse in to stop it happening again, just trying to get hold of a new switch. VW wanted £55 + vat which seemed a tad steep. Anyone know of a cheaper source? Did a search earlier and someone mentioned using one from a mk2 golf, had a look on ebay and they all seem to be 7 or 8 pin rather than 11. If this is possible anyone have a part number? Or is it possible to repair the switch? Ive taken it apart but cant see anything obvious.

Secondly the rubber pipes that run from the unit ontop of the airbox to the injectors, mine are all badly perished and look like they will let me down sooner rather than later. Am struggling to find fuel hose that size, what do you guys use?

many thanks in advance :D

The Mk2 Golf switch is missing the pins for the switch illumination when the ignition is on. Otherwise it works the same as the Corrado one.

Would definitely go for one of these as they're far more robust than the Corrado ones. And cheaper :)

Have you opened up your switch to see what the problem is mate? There is a small spring loaded pin which sometimes comes loose. Could just be that that needs reseating?

have a similar problem

main beam and full beam have stoped working

so does a mk2 golf switch really work??

anything else worth checking?

Yeah mk2 switch works a treat previous owner replaced with the mk2 one and touch wood no problems atall