Sign in to follow this  
GTi.Si

VR6 Gearbox

My Gearbox blew last night on my charged VR. Not really too suprising as its had 140k as a standard VR6, and 15k of abuse as a Supercharged one! :D

I've heard of diff rivits bein a problem, and seeing as the diff case has the holes in I wouldn't be suprised if this has happened. Is there anything I can do to stop this happening in my next box?

Strange no one answered this one?,Peoquin or quaife LSD for starters and try to avoid boosting over bumps on the roads,potholes etc.

Diff rivets were mire of a problem on the old 020 rod change boxes. The only failure I've personally had with an 02A was the diff pin snapping and flying out the top of the box, luckily it hit my strutbrace and not the bonnet. Got a vento vr6 gearbox here if you need one.

goes without saying that you should pick up some ARP bolts here too - they are fairly cheap as well.

afaik, they are also a requirement if fitting an aftermarket diff as the original rivets holding the crownwheel obviously have to be drilled off

I've got the box out today, diff pin has come out and smashed through the case. Should be picking up a box on Monday night from up the road.

Also my 12k old standard VR6 LUK clutch is almost worn out, was told they could handle 300lb/f torque, which I don't think mine is. Not that its useable anyway, covered in oil. Its got hot and there are scorch marks on the flywheel and the pressure plate.

What does everyone use in charged/turbo VR's? Paddle clutch?

helix organic are generally considered the best replacement, also used by most of the VRT guys on here.

however....

not sure how much speculation is behind this.. but i heard that helix have gone to poo again with reference balancing their clutches before they leave the factory.

it's certainly not going to be a massive drama for you to get both plates checked for balance before they go on, and certainly very worthwhile to save you any future headaches (IMO).

on that note - helix friction plates are normally of fantastic quality, it's their pressure plates that are suspect - they get a standard pressure plate (normally from LuK), then take it apart, uprate the springs in it, rivet it back together and then balance it. only trouble is, aparently their balancing machine is quite temperomental and clutches can leave the workshop wildy out of balance...