Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Fixed Height Column Mod - Parts List?

They're these things...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip ... 734&sr=8-2

Basically sockets but instead of bolt shaped holes which are the same size up they have a rifled inner which gets gradually narrower as it goes up the socket. So excellent for removing siezed up rusty bolts as you put them on and then apply the pressure to undo a bolt and these bite through the corroded bits to some proper metal...

Clever stuff, will probably end up attempting with the drill though I reckon as I'm too poor this month! Always Christmas! Do I need to order any new bolts to replace the shear bolts? Will give the cowlings another go but it may a case of :brickwall:

Yep - the list of stuff you need is on the link on the first page of this thread. The sheer bolts are useless once they're drilled out.

The column is held in by four bolts.. two of one type of bolt, and the two sheer head. You need to basically order another two of the other type of bolt :)

You could probably do with another bolt too for the joint at the topbetween the column and tube, I didn't have one so just reused the shear bolt as I don't think that's a stressed area.

Not sure what others have done here if they've drilled the bolt out.

Don't remember seeing / needing another one of those bolts anywhere mate...? :|

Ah yes.. you probably want to order a new one of those. David thankfully had a random spare bolt which was the right fitment in his box of bolts and we threadlocked it just to be safe.

One more complete cowling in hand - if anyone wants, speak now.

Luckily the lower section of the third cowling finally arrived.

just wondering if you had any more luck with a late upper cowling? I've manage to source a complete early fixed set up and will be doing my swap on the weekend :)

Righto,

Old column is out, just swapping the locks out quick....or so I thought! The lock I'm trying to remove from the new fixed column I may have mashed into the housing with the drill bit whilst looking for the spring to compress.

I also drilled a much smaller hole in the old one to release my existing lock I want to fit but couldn't see the spring there either.

Anyone else have trouble with this? I think I may have made the hole too big on the fixed column now, the no longer turns and I downed tools before I ruined the lock barrell I need to reuse.

Is there any way I can just rip them out as if there was a spring, there probably isn't now..

Help! I have made a hash of it :help:

A fresh mind and a nights sleep later I managed to finish this morning, the only other :censored: was the ignition switch screw! All back together now with new switch and bearing minus a cowling, just getting myself a cuppa then out on the test drive :-)

A fresh mind and a nights sleep later I managed to finish this morning, all back together minus a cowling, just getting myself a cuppa then out on the test drive :-)

I was gonna post last night but forgot, nearly did the same to mine! Drilled the first in 10 seconds perfectly neatly (on the fixed tube) Went to take the ignition barrel out of the adjustable one and snapped 2 drill bits, trapping the snapped portions in with the barrel!

Managed to eventually drill a larger hole and release it, with only slight damage to my ignition barrels spring! PHEW!!!

Enjoy the first drive! I've been loving my car since I did it :)

Just had a drive over to Stevens VW dismantlers in Boreham Essex mainly for a test drive but also to see if they had on the off chance a Corrado with a fixed column and cowl, they only had a 95 8v just come in with everything on it! I took the cowlings for £20 but they have the rest of the car including fixed column if any one is looking for one?

Also after refitting the new column the lower tray under the steering wheel wouldnt fit as the fixed unit has a a kind of triangle bar on the bottom of it?

Anyway, I had to cut an inch wide hole in this and it screwed up nicely ... All in all a productive day :D

With luck like that, I'd be in the Newsagents buying a Euromillions ticket right about now!