Sign in to follow this  
Big'G'

94 2L 16v Over heating

Ok people I hope you can help solve my problem. I notice that when the engine is cold all is good however today when I

parked-up for 10min witht the engine running steam started pouring out of the engine bay above the expansion tank.

I popped the bonnet and found the hoses in/out of the radiator were solid and very hot (far too hot to hold). I know

nothing when it comes to mechanics and couldn't begin to hazard even a guess if someone asked me about this!

It's my daily too and need to get back and forward to work so need to get this sorted as quickly and cheaply as poss.

I really don't want to run it when it's like this. Oh and i haven't noticed the fan coming on lately although it used to.

I have been having probs with the engine getting hot just lately but today she blew a load of water....

Found the problem to be my fan not kicking in, so I'll do a test to see if it's needing replaced or whether to fit a manual switch.

Fingers crossed I can get that done this weeked. Once that's done it'll be on to the next little bits and bobs.......

If you disconnect the radiator fan switch, you can bridge pins 1&3 and 2&3 on the plug with a suitable piece of wire. The fan should spin up at low speed (1&3) and high speed (2&3). If you do that, you know your fan works then simply need to replace the radiator fan switch - not too expensive from VW :)

Also, make sure your dealer supplies you a new sealing washer for it. On the Corrado diagram on ETKA it doesn't show one but if the dealer switches to the MK2 Golf diagram, you'll see there is a cheap sticky backed washer which helps make a proper seal!

Nice one, it's always good to get the detailed bits that the stealers can't help with.

With my knowledge of mechanics being nill, I was delighted to find the problem being the

live feeds to the fan had snapped at the battery terminal so it was just a case of re-connecting

it. Fan works fine and temps keepin around the 70-80 mark, instead of hitting the 110-120.