Sign in to follow this  
borders16v

New clutch,how much to pay?

Hi guys,my clutch pedal is nearly touching the carpet now after lasting a long time. Its a 16v and I would like to know how much it should cost to get it replaced/fixed at my local garage ?

also should i do anything else to the engine at the same time ie water pump? Thanks if u can offer any help :salute:

Hi,no the clutch is all good but is original i think and has done 160k so was thinking it must be close to wearing out and was just wondering how many hours it takes a garage to change it and cost wise,cheers. :salute:

I'd imagine you'd be looking at a couple of hundred quid even at a small independant garage, it's going to be a 3 hour job even if you know exactly what you're doing on a particular model. It's not a complex job, just time consuming and needs lifting and support gear etc for the engine and box. Doing my 8v one soon, done the 16v before but I'd imagine it will take me a whole day at least, lots of different sized bolts for a start and they'll all need torquing up correctly when reassembling :)

I'm looking at doing mine when the box is off...

I do hope it's not too hard! Might need to get me a hold of a golf haynes for the engine stuff though.

Had mine done at the start of the month.

Labour £275 (think that was 4.5 hrs I can check later)

Clutch kit £113

Clutch Release Fork £15 (worth doing if it hasn't been done before)

So a touch over £470 with the VAT. That was with the cheaper of 2 options he gave me for the clutch, VW one would of been approx £100 more.

It took longer than 4.5 hours to do as he had a bit of a mare getting everything apart by all accounts, but he quite nicely charged as quoted, which has worked in his favour as he'll be doing the MOT next month!