Sign in to follow this  
jamiehamy

LPG in the 2.9 VR6

Hi all,

I've looked on this forum and on the wider web and can find very little first hand information on converting a (standard!) VR6 to LPG.

Given the miles i do in my car, I'm seriously considering giving this a go. Has anyone here had this done and can share experiences ( good and bad)?

I occasionally see adverts for Sharan VR6's running LPG, but very few on the Corrado. Ideally i'm looking to have a company do it who have done a few Corrado's before, but can't really find much. I know my mum's old Merc 300 was converted, but never ran right and had it taken back out, hence my caution.

Any info will be great thanks!

That's my thread :wave:

Not very detailed I afraid.

Basically I bought mine with it fitted.

Its a Prinns VSI system. Been very reliable other than a minor software issue. It is a standard system with orange injectors but had to have an oversize (solenoid or filter) on the regulator, I can't remember which! Certainly no noticeable loss in power.

Thanks Joni.

I've had a look and seems all positive, just looking to find out more from a standard engine perspective. Doesn't seem like many people have done it before. Reluctant to be a guinea pig tho!

Do you notice a cleaner engine and the other benefits that seem to be associated with LPG? Also, can you start on LPG or do you need to start on petrol til warmed up?

J :)

The oil is definitely cleaner, looks barely used after 5K miles.

Have to start on petrol, but the engine only has to get to about 40 deg C with is less than a mile before it switches over.

I know of at least 2 Corrado VR6's with LPG so you'll not be the guinea pig for sure. Mine was fitted to a standard engine so don't think my other mods have anything to do with it. I wish mine had the filler in the boot though as it looks cleaner and some fillers will not stretch over the car.

That's good to know. Do you know where they were converted? I live up north, but would rather give the car to a company with experience with my type of engine, simply because they may be more familiar with any issues,

Thanks again, J

Just thought i'd update this thread if anyone uses it as a reference in the future.

Had the Corrado converted by Profess in Wales.

Car runs a treat, no loss in power that i can detect. I get 25-27mpg which is what i expected against my normal 30-32mpg on petrol. Had the tank fitted in the spare wheel well giving me a 220mile range per fill up. LPG is 57.9p a litre where i live, so running costs are 40% lower than before. And the engine runs smoother :)

Was £1135 including the software and cable. Significantly cheaper than anywhere else. With the miles i do, and even with the lower fuel consumption, this will have paid for itself within the year.

Despite my best attempts, I've never been able to properly quantify why it's approx £800 less than everywhere else. A large part of must be the volume and efficiency of their operation, plus i believe they import the kit direct from the manufacturer and must get a good discount with the volume.

I got the AC Stag 300 Plus.

From what i gather, it's hard to get hold of the software for most other manufacturers, they don't like mignons having it, which was one reason i went with the AC kit, bit i suppose it must be available.

You can do all sorts, auto calibration, multiplier settings, changeover settings ( rpm/temperature/time), temperature corrections as well as being able to see the petrol injection map vs gas injection times. You can switch on an off individual injectors for diagnostics, the list is endless :)

gasmap.png

Cool, will have to get the software for mine, i've seen it on ebay so it is available but is only supposed to be for installers.

They are cheap cheap!!

I'm tempted to see if they'll convert mine. Not sure what they'll make of a supercharged VR mind. May give them a tinkle and find out.

At those sort of prices, if you're doing more than 12,000 miles a year in a VR then it makes financial sense straight away.