undulattice

G60 help needed - charger seal required

OK, before I start please forgive the laymans terms being used - I don't know the technical terms for some bits of the charger so you'll have to bear with me.

Car has been losing boost (running at about 8 psi with a 68mm pulley fitted) so I've taken it into a local garage to do some diagnostic work. To cut a long story short, after doing various tests the mechanic found that a "plastic pipe attached to the back of the charger" (his words) was only being held on by 3 bolts instead of 4, and the seal between it and the charger was on its way out. Since everything else has been checked, this seemed like it could be the culprit.

Yesterday he ordered a new seal but the wrong one turned up - he was told by VW that the seal used to come as part of a kit but that's now obsolete. The mechanic says he can't get hold of another seal and so is going to put it back together using some sealant. I'm not happy with this and want to get the correct seal but without seeing the charger (I can't get down to the garage at the mo) I've no idea exactly which part he's on about, which makes it a bit difficult to try and find a new seal!

From my pretty poor description above, does anyone know the bit I'm on about and, if so, where I might find a replacement seal? Any help greatly appreciated.

Do you mean to the silencer box? The vast mojority of us take these off as they are prone to leaking and fit an rsr.

Pic of what you mean would be ver helpful to help show where the problem is.

I'm really not sure which bit the silencer box is, TBH I've never really looked that closely at the charger. Can't get down to the garage until tomorrow so I can't get a pic, tried to find one on the interweb but I'm struggling. I realise it's a crap description, just posting on the off chance someone might be able to identify it from being a plastic bit attached by 4 bolts and having a seal!

Think it will be the silencer box. Type "show us your engine" in the search box and you should be able to find a few g60's, but like i say most have long since been removed.

Maybe a google search for the box may bring up some pics to jog your memory.

Cheers for the replies, you're both right - was leaking boost where the two parts of the box meet. The mechanic's description threw me at first but it's pretty obvious when looking at the car.

Temporarily fixed with some sealant which has sorted the boost pressure, now getting 14.5psi before it starts dumping boost at 5.5k rpm. I need a chip asap to sort this out and because it's running too lean at the top end, so only driving round on part throttle at the mo - but I can tell the difference already. RSR outlet to follow in the next couple of months. The car must have been like this since I bought it, but has gradually lost more and more over the last 18 months. On the two dyno runs after the leak was fixed, it pulled 182bhp and 187lbft, which isn't bad considering the car is standard apart from a decat.

Rang gwerks to order my chip, obviously chose the wrong weekend to do this as they're all away at Ed38!

All diagnostic work was done by John Clarkson Autos in Chorley, who I can't recommend highly enough. Great rolling road setup and knowledgeable mechanics, have some printouts which I'll post up when I can get them scanned. When I turned up to collect the car, that mental grey rocco had just come off the rollers having pulled approx 500bhp. Apparently it did a 9 point something standing quarter last weekend and they're trying to squeeze more power out of it. Should have got some pics but I was in a rush.