Sign in to follow this  
bhhjor

16v coolant hose question

Looking for some advice, having problems with the rado. Been losing coolant, getting very hot.

Decided to check all hoses and replace those all. On removing the top hose from the radiator the connection broke off. From looking at the inside of the hose it probably was already broken. Got a new radiator and fitted it all up.

So now I've a new radiator, all hoses connected except for top hose and the one from the expansion tank. And this is the problen. The expansion hose fitted into the radiator at the left hand side just under the Top Hose. The new radiator does not have this. Checked the part nos with old one and they match.

Going through the forums it looks as though I should connect to the Top Hose using some sort of t-piece connector.

Anyone got any ideas how this works? Do I need some sort of coupler to join the hoses?

I've just recently replaced my 16v rad,

The correct rad should have the two large connectors on the back of the rad on the left hand side (looking as if from the front of the car)

It should then have a small one on the top left hand side facing towards the drivers side wing,

if it doesn't it's the wrong rad I should imagine. I replaced mine with a cheap aem one and it had the correct fittings on it,

The correct rad should have the two large connectors on the back of the rad on the left hand side (looking as if from the front of the car)

It should then have a small one on the top left hand side facing towards the drivers side wing,

if it doesn't it's the wrong rad I should imagine. I replaced mine with a cheap aem one and it had the correct fittings on it,

where did you get your rad from can see mine needing done soon.....

On flea bay - seller volksbit_england.

Reasonable price and fitted perfectly apart from the issue with where the hose from the expansion tank should go.

My suspicion is that it somehow connects into the top hose but hoping someone on here will confirm.

Thanks mate, did check that the part nos matched and they did. Bit puzzled by this and check on the forums. I did notice what looked like a t-joint on the top hose leading to the expansion tank in a couple of coolant issues raised on this forum.

So my question is - Does the expansion tank top hose fit into the top hose of the radiator? I'm no mechanic so if anyone knows..... :help:

I think you're a bit confused, only the G60 and VR6 have hoses with in-built small bore 'T' offs, the 16v cars just have straight hoses.

I think you've got a radiator from possibly either a very early mk2 16v golf GTI or another VW with another engine.

If you wan't to use that radiator then you'd have to have a custom hose made, or make up a 'T' by cutting an original straight hose and inserting a standard straight 'T' piece, which I'd imagine samco or SFS hoses or similar would do.

Thanks, totally confused - but then I'm no mechanic :(

The radiator does have a connection for the expansion host - hidden round the side - doh! Anyway replace the rad and all the hoses apart from top hose. I think you are probably correct - mk2 golf will probably fit. When looking for a hose to connect I found an Audi A6 hose. This came with the t-piece - which I no longer need but interestingly it fits perfectly. Pity about the t-piece.

Put the old top hose on to test and looking good. Noticed a small leak which is either the new water pump or PAS. Suspect the former as it is more like water but drips off the PAS onto the floor.

May need to check all fittings. The PAS is too tight - screaming wildly as I turn the wheel so need my mate to come back and check this.

Never a dull momment :D