Sign in to follow this  
Bazmcc

Is your clutch pedal only coming up halfway?

I had this problem for a while. Last week we tried to bleed the clutch in the case that it was maybe air in the line. It didn't work at all and about 100 yards after the clutch was bled the clutch pedal finally gave up and hit the floor.

Solution: The slave cylinder was dead. When I took it out the pin basically just fell out of the middle of the cylinder. The internals of the cylinder were a bit mashed looking when I looked in.

New slave cylinder is in now and the pedal is back as new and the biting point is much higher as well making the car easier to drive.

Thought I would share this in case anyone else has the same problems. If you clutch isn't springing back up all the way it's only a matter of time.

Mines a bit low and doesn't return all the way back to the top, I know the slave cylinder is renowned for failing so was on my list of things to sort, but does not cause an issue driving at the moment.

Glad to hear that it did return your pedal all the way back to the top though, as it is a minor irritation of mine.

I think you've tipped the balance for me to sort this out in the not too distant future.

Mine was the same for quite a while. I Just decided it was time to try and sort it out. My advice is to actually unbolt it from the gearbox and check and see if the pin drops out of it. I'm not sure if it's a failsafe method of testing it but on mine it allowed me to see the mess of the seals inside.

Mines a bit low and doesn't return all the way back to the top, I know the slave cylinder is renowned for failing so was on my list of things to sort, but does not cause an issue driving at the moment.

Glad to hear that it did return your pedal all the way back to the top though, as it is a minor irritation of mine.

I think you've tipped the balance for me to sort this out in the not too distant future.

Yeah channge it asap - you'll either damage the Master or bend the clutch fork by leaving it.

Yeah channge it asap - you'll either damage the Master or bend the clutch fork by leaving it.

Really, that never crossed my mind. Take it VW's the place to go to get these from?

Did I read somewhere that they are now a new improved design?

there are 2 kinds from GSF and i was recommended on here to go for the more expensive one of the two (made by FAG!) which was about £50 - its not too bad a job

there are 2 kinds from GSF and i was recommended on here to go for the more expensive one of the two (made by FAG!) which was about £50 - its not too bad a job

If thats the general consensus then I'll go for one of them. GSF is only down the road from work so can call in at lunch time.