Sign in to follow this  
bassjamm

Brakes for my 16v...

Hi all,

I recently got a 1991 1.8 16v Corrado. It's had G60 uprated front brakes at some time, but the time is fast approaching where they're going to need replacing due to wear.

I'm not really up on my knowledge of all this, but what's the best route forward here?

I want to paint the callipers red too, but I'm considering a total new setup depending on the cost.

Can get into Brembos for a reasonable cost?

I'm really new to this, so please bare with me!

Thanks

Jamie

on a 16v I wouldn't bother with anything bigger than the G60 disks and calipers, you can get pattern G60 disks and pads for very little and there's not really anything else from the VW stable that just bolts on. Any aftermarket/racing/multi-piston calipers are going to be expensive and unnecessary,

my 2p.

Thanks for that kind sir.

I was guessing most things might be a bit over the top. It's had some engine mods and stainless steel exhaust, so it's now 157bhp. Not going to set any records I know but respectable none the less.

Thanks

Jamie

Worth giving the braking system a good going over, check the caliper pistons move nice and freely, perhaps renew the brake hoses, definitely bleed the system through and check the rear brake compensator if free and set appropriately for the height of your suspension.

Half worn pads will not be as resistant to fade and I'd imagine your disks are far from perfect.

I still run 256mm brakes and my wife always comments on how good the brakes are, nice feel, bite well but also progressive, yes you might get some fade if you hammer them over again in a short space of time but they work nicely for an everyday driver and stop the car well from high speed, helps that they are non-ABS too I think.

Thanks for that mate.

I'll be honest with you, I'm not the most mechanically minded so a lot of that will have gone straight over my head. However, I have an operation on Monday which will leave me off work for about 6 weeks, hoping to spend some time on the car so I should be able to get into this a bit more and learn some new skills :D

Thanks for that though chap.

Jamie