Sign in to follow this  
1991corrado

Sorry if this has been asked

Sorry but have a quick look and can not find the bypass valves for the matrix. The car is 1.8 16v.

Are these still available or have they been reproduced by another company?

Thanks

I wouldn't panic, they are only there to help prevent a small possibility of the matrix blowing out if the system over-pressurises, you can either go the whole hog and fit a new VAG/VAG quality mk3 matrix (stronger end caps) or just live without them.

I've removed mine as I was sick of the restriction they put in the heating system for the winter.

I've heard they are obselete new (have you tried VW), and they do fail themselves eventually it seems.

I take it you know where they should be fitted? - just before the bulkhead where the water hoses go into the cabin.

ahhh... cheers david.wondered why the heating matrix wasnt putting much heat out on three or four.now know why.

two birds with one stone.

TBH I've only ever seen the by-pass valves on 16v engines and my 8v doesn't have them, perhaps the upgraded matrix was fitted from '94 on or something :shrug:

I would have though that G60's would have had them as a recall though as the 8v engine/cooling system is basically the same as the 16v, Supercharged will know for sure.

its the silver piece connected inline on the one of the heater hoses isnt it? havent had a proper look yet but wheres does the smaller diameter pipe go if i delete the valve? worth pluging up?

the bypass valves are similar in design, one is metal and the other black plastic, one goes in the feed hose to the matrix the other in the return hose, both fitted by cutting a section out of the two original hoses.

the two valves have a small bore pipe between them that is the pressure relief across the hoses for the matrix if it gets blocked.

I bought a selection of silicone hoses from SFS, elbow reducer from the head outlet of the 16v, an alloy coupler and some lengths of straight hose and made up new hoses for the feed and return to the matrix, now they match my golf 16v silicone hoses and I've lost the by-pass valves, I can now get super hot air very quickly after starting from cold :)

I have been told 2 sections of copper pipe will do the job, is this true?

Cheers

Mark

all you need to do is make up for the section cut out of the original one piece hoses, so yes a rigid pipe of the right size and a couple of jubilee clip and you're away

Valves removed and copper pipe fitted, its boiling hot now inside the car. BRILLIANT!!

Next job find out why the bloody temp gauge is not working.

Thanks again David

Mark

Mimjed, i will see if i can upload a pic today, I clamped off the top and bottom of the hoses going to both valves (using long nose mole grips and rags to stop the teeth damaging the pipe) popped round to me dads house and used 22mm copper pipe, one cut down to 5inches (i think) and the other one about 4inches. Left the cap off the header tank ran it up and topped up coolant, the heater is working a treat, funny feeling the matrix will be next though, very very very slight steam up occasionally.

Cheers

Mark