Sign in to follow this  
awright182

Ball joint splitter

Any recommendations for a ball joint splitter? I bought a Clarkes one and I've broken it trying to get it on to the bottom ball joints. It was just too chunky to get in to place. I've got one of the cylinder ones with a bolt down the middle. That's fine for track rod ends but no good for the ball joints.

Andy

i have a clark joit splitter and hasnt failed me yet. Just want to check....does your ball joint have a bolt to retain the ball joint into the bearing housing...i know some models have them not sure if yours does.

I din't think so. There's just the nut that holds the ball joint taper in place. I couldn't get the piece that does the pressing in place without it fouling the cv joint housing. I dismantled it to try and get it in place and then broke the casting. My cars a 92 VR6.In the end I took the three bolts off that adjust the camber but that means I will have to get the car tracked up when I've finished.

i dont think ive had the cv joint in the housing when ive taken the ball joints out. maybe someone on here will come along and tell you how to do it with the cv joint in situ.

Otherwise, undo the cv, remove the three bolts that secure the wishbone to the ball joint. swing the bearing housing out of the way and see if that gives you enough access. if you still struggle, apply a little local heat while compressing the ball joint abd it will let go even if you have to tap it a couple of times