Sign in to follow this  
muuurph

crank pulley keyways snapping...16v bbm lysolm

Alright, I finished this project and now 3 months later about to sell it...

:Last week I took the car on the first drive and the crank pulley keyway snapped and off came the gear..valves bent.

this week, new head, another stock pulley, same thing, the timing gear on the crank keyways are breaking...who knows if I just lost my valves again..

Solution? Sell it, what? my question is how are all these 16v bbms pushing 15psi or whatever and they start everyday, mines at stock bbm boost and this happens driving like a grandma.

crank bolt the correct part and fitted correctly?

the only time I've heard them come undone is when they are reused (if they are the stretch type)

a new bolt should come lightly oiled, then should be torqued correctly, from what I've heard, over oiling or using threadlock can cause incorrect torquing and/or stretching.

Quite a few people use the older (mk1 golf) reusable non stetch type, but I'd imagine VW moved to the stretch bolts for a reason.

how bout an aba block with the 16v head? pull the head spacer out...maybe I wouldnt have crank problems..Anyone know if they make aftermarket gears?