VR6 Lee

VR6 Lee - Corrado VR6 Storm Mystic Blue Build thread

My build thread

Owner VR6 Lee

Corrado VR6 Storm - Mystic Blue

As you may now I bought the car from ebay(Saved from the scrapyard) Travelled all the way to Glasgow to finally get my hands on my first VR6.

Link below prior to owning the car (Purchased 16th Oct 2010)

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=97591

Corrado has 148,400 on the clock as is good condition with some minor problems which me and help from family and friends should get sorted.

A Few pictures

dsc00448.jpg

dsc00470.jpg

dsc00457.jpg

8c869ecd.jpg

c596443c.jpg

With my lovely Golf just nipping in the photo

IMG_0102.jpg

Lee 8) 8)

Edited by VR6 Lee

Yeah they are growing on me, but intially my thoughts were to change them back to the Solitudes as I am a OEM (+) guy but they do sit nice so will be keeping them for the time being. Long term though may just nick my bro's Solitudes when he goes away on holiday, job done! :nono: :nono: :nono:

Edited by VR6 Lee

There's a set of solitudes on ebay right now. They're being sold by another storm owner.

Might have a look at them tonight..hmmmm

Lovely motor Lee, what was the drive back like?

Trip back was great except the bizzare traffic on the M6.

Wheel bearing did my head in on the way back but will get that sorted soon before wheel siezes or fliys off

Had a thought this afternoon that after my clean around the car yesterday I didn't notice a wheel locking nut anywhere in the car so went out 10 minutes ago to inspect the wheel and noticed that there is a locking nut on...grrrr!!!

Got in contact with previous owner and he said the wheels had never been on when the car was in his possession

Photos, any ideas how to get these off as they don't look like the ones on my mk 4 Golf

c1e6f521.jpg

db6fb4fd.jpg

Bit annoyed!!!! :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words:

I had a similar problem with my mk3 Golf before when I lost my locking wheel nut key. The way the garage got the nut out was to hammer in a smaller socket into the locking wheel nut so that its realy tight and just use brut force after that...you will also probably need to get yourself a new locking wheel nut after that.

yeah its a job for a garage, sometimes they can use a tool that molds to the locking wheel nut shape. But from what i have heard its always a nightmare job. so good luck 8)

The reason why I never ever run locking bolts. There just more hassle than there worth. Never heard of anyone getting there wheels nicked these days.

Will have to take it to garage near where I work when im off next week.

So annoyed that i didn't check for the locking wheel nut when I viewed it in Glasgow :mad2: :mad2:

Be nice though if I could find out like a skeleton key for this type of locking nut...hmmm!!!! :scratch: :scratch:

The reason why I never ever run locking bolts. There just more hassle than there worth. Never heard of anyone getting there wheels nicked these days.

I think I will just replace them with standard nuts as I agree with what you say, more trouble than they are worth...grrrr!!!!

Be nice though if I could find out like a skeleton key for this type of locking nut...hmmm!!!!

It will be a needle in a haystack :)

I would get another set of locking wheel nut. Not long ago someone in here nearly had their wheels stolen. Only detered by the locking wheel bolts.

I would have them on personally. If the thugs gonna nick my wheels. They gonna have to work for it :D

Don't bother taking it to a garage, get a locking wheel nut remover (ebay number 290337594302) its a socket with an internal reverse thread, as you use a wind off motion it screws itself to your wheel nut then when it bites it unscrews it as normal. great bit of kit. works on old rounded and broken bolt heads too.

hope this helps.

jon.

I had this problem (mine had VW standard locking wheel nuts on the two front wheels) I got one off with a reverse gripping tool as mentioned above, but it got stuck in it, so for the 2nd one I just hammered an old 17mm socket on and that did the trick.

Don't bother taking it to a garage, get a locking wheel nut remover (ebay number 290337594302) its a socket with an internal reverse thread, as you use a wind off motion it screws itself to your wheel nut then when it bites it unscrews it as normal. great bit of kit. works on old rounded and broken bolt heads too.

hope this helps.

jon.

Is it def a 17mm??

I was just using this one as an example of what it looked like. The one I used to remove mine was a 19mm one. If you just put locking wheel nut remover into eBay they have them in all sizes.

Does that look 17mm or 19mm???

Dont think you can tell from the picture...If you have a range of socket set of your own try putting your own 17mm socket to test for size and just work from there to get an idea of the actual size.

Could just get a quote from the garage to see how much they would charge to get it off. It only cost me a £10 before to get all four locking wheel nuts off from a garage local to me rather than getting the kit of ebay.

Just put normally wrench on the normal wheel bots which is 17mm, tried it on the locking nut and it doesn't fit over the top of it so i'm still wondering if to go for the 17mm

Got a quote £60 to remove 4 locking wheel nuts... :mad2:

Just put normally wrench on the normal wheel bots which is 17mm, tried it on the locking nut and it doesn't fit over the top of it so i'm still wondering if to go for the 17mm

Got a quote £60 to remove 4 locking wheel nuts...

or just get both sizes just to be sure and ask for combined postage of the ebay guy... :D Still cheaper than the quoted £60 to be done by your garage. I think the sizes are different if its a non genuine locking wheel nut.

Hi Lee,

Glad you've finally got yourself one mate.

This car was advertised £4995 when my dad first spotted it a couple of months ago. It looks like you've got a good one there once you get this little problem sorted...