Sign in to follow this  
ddubalicious

Alternator Voltage?

Hello all,

I have just got back from Aldermaston with the G60, a 180 mile trip, tunrned the car off to go inside for a little while.

My partner, who I bought the car for, went to start it up and the starter was struggling badly. Car would not turn over.

Put a jump pack on and she fired up.

Now, I put a multimeter across the battery terminals when the engine was running and I got 13.2v on tickover, with revs at around 2.5k I get 13.33 volts and no more.

Is this about right, seems low to me?

If its not the alternator then what else could I look for.

Not a great start to new Corrado ownership!!!!!!!

Mine runs at around 14v, which I think is normal. 13 does sound a bit low to charge the battery properly. How old is the battery? could be a combination of both old battery and weak alternator

Right, I have just gone out to start the car again and she fired up right away.

Turned engine off and let sit for a while before checking battery voltage and its showing 12.79v with everything of bar the alarm system.

Could this be a sticky starter, or are there other known starting issues.

I am thinking that the problem might only occur when the engine is hot, are there any known hot starting problems with the G60?

Thanks

alternator output should be between 13.6 and 14. 2 v with afully charged battery, at about 2500-3000rpm.

I just read somewhere that older vehicles have voltage regulators to 13.3 volts?????

Would really like your advice on this as I need to order parts to sort the problem.

I just cant be dealing with a car with faults like this..

I just hate faults where there are no direct certainty on whats causing it.

Check the big earth cable that comes off the -ve of the battery, it has 2 main earthing points, behind the battery it bolts to the chassis & then goes on to bell housing behind the starter for the engine earth. Cable should be in good condition & the earths good clean metal to metal contact, any corrosion or dirt can cause problems.

Mick

When I had this Car had a brand new alternator from VW on it in about 2006, but from your PM you stated that you beleive that the altenator had been changed for some reason, Check all of the cables are secure on the alternator and battery. Also it had a new starter fitted when I had the car as the old one starting to not want to disengage.

Cheers

Woody

do halfords still do a free alternator/battery check?

it sounds to me like one of the diodes in the alternator diode pack as gone (which would be curtains for the alt)

but check all the cable connectors and battery fully first (cheaper)

Thanks for the tips chaps.

It has been fine and dandy for the last few days so I dont quite know what to do with it right now.

If it happens again then I will just change the starter, alternator and battery, also get the earth cables changed while im at it.

Thanks again.